Chapter Fourty-Eight

Bj (Brent Jr)

It's 10am and almost time for my appointment with the therapist.

I pull up to the address my dad gave me. It's a big white building with black doors and windows that makes it hard to see inside.

Parking my car in patient parking, I get out making sure to lock my doors behind me..

I walk into the building and cold air immediately smacks me in the face.

"I should've wore a jacket" I say to myself, rubbing my hands together.

I make my way to the receptionist desk.

"Hi, how may I help you?" The white lady behind the desk asks.

"Um, I'm here to see Dr.Simmons" I tell her.

She nods "Okay, what's your name & appointment time?"

"My name is-"

"Brent Jr" A deep male voice cuts me off.

I look to my right and an old black guy with glasses walks up to me wearing a suit..

"Dr.Simmons" The white lady behind the desk greets the man.

Oh, he's the doctor.

"I'll take him from here" The doctor tells the receptionist.

"Yes sir" The receptionist replies, she begins typing something into her computer.

"Come with me" Dr Simmons tells me.

He begins to walk and I follow him.

"You know, you look just like your father" Dr Simmons tells me.

"Well, if he was light skin" He chuckles.

"Everybody says that" I tell him with a light chuckle.

I watch as he pulls a keycard from his pocket, opening a door that leads to a hallway..

We walk down the hallway passing about four doors before he turns into one.

The office is covered in dark blue and brown decor.

He sits in a blue Jacobsean style egg chair and I take a seat on the blue couch..

He opens his mouth to speak but a knock at the door cuts him off.

"Come in!" He semi shouts.

The door opens and a black woman with long dreads peaks her head in.

"I'm sorry to interrupt Dr.Simmons but my patient had to leave early and I just wanted to know if it would be okay for me to take my lunch now?" The lady speaks.

Dr.Simmons checks the time on his Rolex..

"Yes, that's fine Tameka" He nods.

"Thank you" She smiles before shutting the door.

I look at Dr.Simmons "You own this place or something?"

He nods with a smirk "Thanks to Daniel and your dad"

My eyes widen "Uncle Red and my dad did this for you?" I ask.

"Yup. You see when I first met those two hot heads, I was working for a company owned by a white man" Dr.Simmons tells me.

"But one day your Uncle Red, as you call him, got into a heated argument with the owner of the facility and called him a racist cracker-"

I laugh "Uncle Red a fool"

Dr Simmons laughs "What he said was true though. The cracker was a racist" He tells me shaking his head.

"He tried to get me to disclose information about certain sessions, specifically the ones with people of color.. Anyways after that incident, Daniel and your father paid me to leave the facility. I'm taking about paid me good" He says putting emphasis on good.

"Long story short, I used that money to open my own facility with an all black staff" He smiles, finishing the story.

"What about the receptionist?" I ask referring to the brunette white lady at the front desk..

"Oh Connie, she stood up for Daniel against the owner over at the other facility resulting in her being fired. So it was only right that we hired her and doubled the pay" Dr.Simmons tells me.

I nod "That's what's up"

Summer

I'm sitting in the living room with my parents attempting to convince my mom to get me a car..

"I'm like the only person at school without a car" I tell her.

My mom rolls her eyes "You're being dramatic. You and I both know that's not true"

I roll my eyes.

"Dad!" I semi shout, looking at him.

"I think she deserves a car" My dad comes to my defense.

My mom mean mugs him.

"What?" My dad asks "She's very responsible"

The doorbell rings.

"That must be Sasha" I jump up to open the door.

I run to the front door, opening it.

"Hey" Sasha waves.

She's wearing a blue crop top with ripped jeans and blue Christian Dior sandals.

"Hi" I smile, moving aside so she can come into the house.

She looks around the house as we make our way into the living room.

"I want to introduce you to my parents" I tell Sasha "My little brother Zion is with his grandparents in Florida for the rest of the summer but you can meet him when he gets back"

We make it into the living room.

"Mom, Dad, this is BJ's girlfriend and my new friend Sasha" I tell them.

"Hey beautiful, nice to meet you" My mom smiles.

"Hi, nice to meet you too" Sasha waves.

"Nice to meet you" My dad greets her while biting into a big piece of watermelon.

"Nice to meet you too & can I have a piece?" Sasha asks pointing at the watermelon with a serious look on her face.

I laugh.

...................

Sasha and I just finished in the in home spa, now we're going live on her instagram.

Someone comments asking Sasha where she at.

"At my homegirl Summer house" Sasha answers.

She called me her homegirl...Period.

"Yeah we just chilling at my house" I add in with a shrug.

Someone else comments and says damn sis got a whole spa in her house?

Sasha laughs "Yeah, my friend got money. She ain't no broke hoe"

I smile "Period"

More comments begin to come through..

Sasha leans up reading one aloud "You heard about Rodney?"

She furrows her eyebrows "What about Rodney?"

Comments begin to flood saying that Rodney is missing...

Sasha gasps "Missing?"

...................
▪️Thanks for reading XOXO