14

Perplexed for a moment, Delrico snatched the letter from Venezio's grasp and read it in silence. His brow furrowed as he absorbed the disturbing contents. After finishing, he reached into the drawer and retrieved a pair of gloves. With a hesitant thought, he slid the blade of his knife across the tape securing the second box. As the flaps opened, his eyes widened at the gruesome sight that met his gaze—a severed head, drenched in dried blood.

Venezio too stared in shock, his eyes widening as he beheld the state of Vincent's lifeless head. A sense of anticipation enveloped the room. Alongside the head, a phone and a chip were neatly placed in a separate zip lock bag. Delicately, Delrico placed the head back into the box, his hands trembling. He discarded the bloodied gloves into the nearby dustbin and swiftly called for the guard who had delivered the parcel.

Within moments, the guard stood before them, his heart pounding in his chest. He couldn't fathom why he was being summoned so abruptly after just dropping off the package. Taking a shaky breath, he mustered the courage to ask, "Don, did I do something wrong?"

Ignoring the guard's question, Venezio inquired with a stoic expression, "Who gave you this parcel and when?" His eyes scanned the box on the table, searching for any clues.

"It was a boy, wearing a helmet. He dropped it off at your office about seven minutes ago, after I checked its contents," the guard replied truthfully.

"Is he the same boy who usually delivers parcels?" Delrico pressed further.

"Perhaps, no!" The guard's voice wavered, his anxiety palpable.

"Retrieve the CCTV footage from the delivery time and track down the boy's company location and phone calls. Find out who sent this within the next 24 hours," Venezio ordered, his gaze fixed on the window as he lit a second cigarette. Delrico dismissed the guard, and once alone, Delrico turned to Venezio and asked, "What will you do now?"

"We need to investigate. This situation is spiraling out of control," Venezio replied, reaching for his phone to call Alessia, his trusted associate.

A soft knock resounded at the door, and Alessia entered cautiously, closing the door behind her. "Don, you called?" she said carefully, her eyes falling upon the bloodied box on the table. A gasp escaped her lips as she approached, her steps measured and cautious. After analyzing the contents inside the box, her eyes widened in disbelief.

Delrico and Venezio observed her reaction in silence, allowing her a few minutes to process the shocking discovery. Finally, Venezio instructed her, "Take this box and give it to the investigation team. Tell them to search for fingerprints and any other evidence that could lead to the person who sent it."

Alessia struggled to compose herself, adjusting to the fact that she had just witnessed Vincent's severed head in a parcel. "Who did this?" she managed to ask, her voice trembling.

"We don't know," Delrico replied, his tone heavy with frustration.

"Okay," Alessia said, knowing to don gloves before handling the box. With the box in her possession, she left the room to fulfill her task.

"What will you do about Romano now?" Delrico asked, gathering his documents and placing them in his briefcase.

"Kill them," Venezio replied, the words falling with a chilling finality. The situation had escalated to a point where they couldn't afford to take any chances. Vincent's murder by an unknown assailant, the seizure of their weapons and trafficking operation, and the disappearance of their tracking devices—all pointed to a threat they couldn't ignore.

"You know that killing them will come at a high cost," Delrico warned, concerned for the consequences.

"It's better to lose a little than lose everything. I've fucking worked for decades," Venezio retorted with frustration.

"How will you do it?" Delrico inquired, hoping to steer Venezio towards a more cautious approach.

"Accidents," Venezio answered, his tone cautionary yet resolute.

"I fear you've become uncontrollable. Killing won't always lead you to the truth, Venezio," Delrico reasoned, urging his brother to consider alternative paths.

"Killing has brought me to the truth so far, and it will continue to do so," Venezio interjected, his eyes flashing with determination.

"Let her choose her own path now. We both know she doesn't belong in this world. Not everyone is like you. Let her be," Delrico spoke on behalf of Dalia, his voice filled with empathy. Without waiting for his brother's retort, he left the room, his words lingering in the air.

Delrico made his way towards his sister's room, stopping before her door. He knocked twice, and upon hearing her soft invitation to enter, he pushed the door open and stepped inside. Dalia stood by the window, her gaze fixated on the enchanting night sky—stars illuminating the darkness while the moon shimmered like a pure diamond.

"Shall we?" Delrico asked, his voice filled with quiet understanding as he gazed out the window. Dalia nodded in response, retrieving her purse from the bed. Together, they descended the stairs, Delrico trailing behind them, embarking on a path shrouded in uncertainty and danger.