77

Venezio's heart pounded in his chest as he rushed through the sterile corridors of the hospital. Every step seemed to echo his desperation, and his mind was consumed with fear and uncertainty.

As he approached the intensive care unit, Venezio's breaths became shallow, his anxiety threatening to overwhelm him. With each passing second, his apprehension grew, and he feared what he would find behind those double doors.

Finally, he arrived at the entrance of the ICU, his heart pounding even louder now. As he gazes from the small window of the ICU door how the doctors and nurses team were aiding his lifeless wife, Celia lay motionless on the hospital bed, her body covered in a white sheet. Tubes and wires connected her to a myriad of medical devices, monitoring her fragile existence. Her once vibrant face was marred by deep bruises and cuts, her body pale and lifeless. The sight of her battered form pierced Venezio's soul. He found himself in abyss of dark guilt and remorse. He didn't pay any heed to Dante's and Warren's and Mister Ricci and Calix figure in the hall some making calls where Mister Ricci sat on a bench, his sorrowful eyes and visible evidence of the state they all are in.

Hours passed like eternities as Venezio stood vigil, the gravity of the situation sinking deeper into his consciousness. The agony of uncertainty gnawed at his heart, intertwining with the grief that threatened to consume him. He clutched his hands tightly, praying for a flicker of hope in this darkest hour

Finally, the doors to the ICU swung open, and a weary-looking doctor emerged. His face held the weight of the news he was about to deliver. Venezio's heart sank further, anticipating the inevitable blow.

The doctor approached Venezio, his voice tinged with sorrow. "Mister Cassano," he began, his words heavy with the burden of reality, "I'm deeply sorry to inform you that the fetus in your wife's womb couldn't survive the trauma. We did everything we could to save them, but..." his voice trailed off, unable to continue.

Venezio's world shattered into a million fragments at those words. The loss of their unborn child was a devastating blow, a cruel twist of fate that crushed their dreams of a future together. The weight of grief bore down on him, and he crumpled to his knees, his eyes lifeless.

The news was too much to take in for the mighty Don of the Italian Mafia. He believed he would never overcome this, and the hope of his beloved, who had begged him to leave, was shattered. But his position and attitude didn't allow him to do so. Now, he found himself facing the devastation he had caused in the lives of his family, the people he had destroyed and controlled. His sister, his brother, his brother's wife, his beloved's life, and the life of his own child, among many others.

The medical team witnessing this heartbreaking scene. Their eyes filled with a mix of sympathy.  For in that moment, they saw beyond the powerful facade of Venezio Cassano, the most influential man who commanded respect, fear, and power in equal measure. They saw a man who was vulnerable, broken by the immense pain that life had dealt him.

The agents on the team also witnessed the devastation and reaction of the most powerful mafia man, now on his knees, shattered and traumatized by the news. They understood the depth of his pain, knowing that their loyalty and duty lay not only in catching him, but also in supporting him during this difficult time.

All of them were like a family to Celia, to the same young girl they had found emotionless when she lost her first child. She had suffered physical and emotional trauma from the age of seven, abandoned by everyone. Celia had begged her mother to never leave her, but her mother had no choice but to comply with her parents and relatives, arranging her second marriage to Mister Milano.

Celia had experienced the pain of being alone, bleeding for hours in her ex-husband's apartment. She endured the physical abuse and emotional torment inflicted by her paternal relatives and her ex husband. She would secretly call her mother in the middle of the night, pleading for her to take her away from these abusive relatives. Celia longed for an escape, promising not to disturb anyone and to comply with any demands, as long as she could be freed from their clutches. However, her mother had no choice but to leave her young daughter behind, knowing the grave consequences they would face if they were found eloped.