52

Dalia stood regally at the end of the aisle, her steely grey eyes mirroring the weariness of the emerald-green forest that enveloped her. There was a bitter irony in the air, for she was not about to marry the man she had longed for. Instead, she found herself bound to a stranger, Adelio Eracio, her enigmatic future husband.

Her hands clenched around the bouquet, betraying her inner turmoil as she observed the binding contract with a hint of resistance. Adelio maintained a stoic expression, his face a mask of inscrutability, as he sensed her apprehension.

The wedding ceremony unfolded within the opulent halls of the D'Amico Cassano mansion, witnessed only by Venezio's male cousins from his mother's side, Adelio's family, and their discreetly armed attendants. Dalia turned to her elder brother, silently beseeching him with her eyes, but he responded with a disapproving shake of his head.

Venezio remained unusually silent, refraining from his customary outbursts. He had decreed Dalia's marriage with an air of finality, leaving her no room to voice her objections. Alessia had always strived to restore Venezio to his former self, but the fury he harbored toward Celia promised dire consequences for all involved once he had her in his grasp. The repercussions of her actions cast a pall of terror over everyone present. In the span of a mere week, Venezio had transformed-his once subtle beard had grown more pronounced, while his very presence exuded a chilling aura of intimidation.

Today, Venezio's senses were razor-sharp, vigilantly scanning every corner and observing each movement with utmost caution. The suffering endured in the preceding hours would bear fruit today.

As the priest commenced the ceremonial recitation, the guests hushed their conversations, diverting their attention to the couple before them, acutely aware that this alliance was a facade.

Venezio's eyes swept the surroundings, his gaze calculating every detail and evaluating each individual. Suddenly, his gaze lifted to the mansion's first floor, where his eyes locked with another pair of captivating orbs. Her eyes exuded a sense of softness and confidence, while his burned with fury, resentment, and a hint of malevolence. His gaze traced the curves of her lips, which curled into a subtle smirk as he began moving toward her. Ascending the stairs with swift determination, he quickened his pace, causing those around him to cautiously brandish their guns and train them on her. Instinctively, she stepped back, finding herself with her back to him as he closed in.

In a swift motion, she turned and dashed toward a nearby window, while chaos erupted as people blocked the exits, momentarily forgetting the couple on the stage. Adelio, the groom, watched with caution, astonished by the sudden commotion and the anticipated arrival of these expected individuals.

Warren, Dante, and five others, their tuxedos discreetly concealing their arms, infiltrated the premises through the main entrance, their imposing frames ensuring the security of exits and entrances. Warren approached Dalia with determined strides, leaving the bewildered groom to witness the unfolding chaos.

Warren confronted Adelio face-to-face, his voice calm yet laced with warning. "It would be wise for you to step back, Mr. Adelio Eracio." Adelio caught the signal and reached for the concealed gun at his back. However, before he could discharge a single bullet, a swiftly administered dart pierced his skin, and with a thud, his unconscious body collapsed onto the pristine marble floor.

Turning back to Dalia, Warren signaled the frightened priest to continue the ceremony. Lifting his gaze, he met Dalia's eyes, which exuded serene composure, and she granted her approval for the ceremony to proceed.

The recitation resumed, flowing swiftly to its conclusion. The priest then turned to Warren, inquiring if he accepted the vow. "I do," came Warren's resolute affirmation, his promise resounding with pride.