73

Time had lost all meaning for Celia within the confines of her captivity. Each passing hour felt like an agonizing eternity, while days stretched on like endless decades whenever she was left alone, inactive and lost in her own thoughts. Pacing back and forth, she found herself immersed in a sea of anticipation, whispering prayers under her breath like a desperate plea for deliverance.

Eighteen days had passed since she became a captive, and the distance from her child and... her husband had grown immeasurable. The mere moments she had shared with them kept her tethered to sanity, as emotions surged through her veins like a torrent, pulsating throughout her entire being. Celia longed for them, not just for her son, Inizio, but also for her husband, Venezio too. She yearned for Venezio's warmth, even his anger, and she ached to indulge in Inizio's playful innocence.

Her feelings for Venezio had transcended mere affection; they now resided on a higher plane. His touch, his kisses, and even their heated arguments existed solely within the realm of her memories. The separation from him, from them, was a torment she despised.

The connection they shared, initially born out of convenience for the sake of their child, had evolved into something deeper, something stronger. Her yearning for Venezio had surpassed all expectations. She would often convince herself that these intense emotions were merely a passing fondness, a feeble attempt to guard herself from becoming too attached. Deep down, however, she knew that whispering such absurd and false words to herself was futile.

She refused to be fooled. To once again feel these strange yet familiar emotions coursing through her veins was a testament to her humanity. She acknowledged her own greed, recognizing that she would embrace even the devil himself if he showed her the slightest affection. And for Venezio D'Amico Cassano, he was the devil of her own personal hell.

Or perhaps, she pondered, these emotions had surfaced because of the unborn child nestled within her womb. Another life seeking a home for the next nine months, a child of their own, again. She could hardly believe that she was to become a mother once more, and Venezio, a father. Inizio would soon have a baby sibling, and the thought filled her with hope.

Could a child bridge the vast chasm of hatred and distance between its parents?

She knew the answer all too well. Yes.

Inizio had been the one of most significant reason she had isolated herself from the world for years, and he was the catalyst for her plea to Venezio to abandon his life in the mafia. Inizio was also the reason for she could endure Venezio's threats and remain by his side for a lifetime.

And now, with this unborn child, she vowed to protect them both and put an end to Venezio's illicit business and the dangerous world he inhabited. Her loyalty did not lie with Venezio, and it never would.

She understood herself better than anyone. In situations where the stakes were evenly balanced, a woman like her could not be trusted. The only individuals she had truly opened herself up to were Dante, Warren Mister Ricci, and now, her children. Venezio had yet to earn that privilege.

Venezio and Celia were inseparable, yet they existed as polar opposites. She knew that if she betrayed him once again, Venezio would not grant her another chance. He had never trusted her, and he never would.

Because he knew all too well that she was a danger—a danger that could never be trusted or anticipated in a well manner.

And because once upon a time, she had been his villain.

Celia heaved a sigh as she stared out of the window, her surroundings having transitioned from a luxurious suite to a small, high-security room with only a single door and window. She was under constant surveillance, monitored by cameras and security personnel around the clock. Cassian had given strict orders not to further drug or inject her while she remained under heightened scrutiny, and for that, she was grateful.