29

It had been two long weeks since Celia last glimpsed the outside world. She had isolated herself, engaging in minimal conversations with Dalia, Warren, and Dante, trying to maintain her sanity. She purposefully avoided the vicinity of Venezio, unwilling to face him.

Dalia had departed for Paris on a business trip, and Celia had offered to accompany her. However, Venezio had forbidden her from venturing out. He argued that she still needed their protection and couldn't risk her life unnecessarily.

"That goes against his supposed morals," Celia scoffed under her breath, frustrated by the situation.

When Dalia inquired why Celia couldn't join her, Venezio presented a seemingly logical argument, stating that Celia lacked self-defense skills, and they couldn't endanger her life. While Dalia found solace in her brother's words, Celia couldn't trust his feigned concern.

His words and gestures of hospitality were nothing but a facade, lacking any true humanity.

When Celia requested to move into her own apartment, Dalia denied her plea, insisting that until her brother apprehended the entire gang and resolved the ongoing fiasco, they couldn't risk Celia's safety.

The mansion was engulfed in an eerie silence as everyone succumbed to sleep. However, Celia, lying on the massive bed, tossed and turned, unable to find a comfortable position. Sleep eluded her, and frustration filled her being. Muttering curses under her breath, she cast aside the duvet and slipped into her flats, determined to escape her room.

The corridors were dimly illuminated by discreetly placed lights on each wall, guiding her way toward the garden. She descended the stairs silently, cautious not to disturb anyone's slumber.

A chill embraced her exposed skin as she stepped into the night air. Her hair, pulled back in a high bun, let a few rebellious strands brush against her cheeks, eyes, and lips. She tucked them back behind her ear as she strolled toward the pool area, where the water shimmered under the moon's faint glow. It exuded a serene atmosphere, a stark contrast to the turmoil inside her.

Suddenly, a harsh and unfamiliar sound emanated from behind a nearby tree. Celia assumed it was some stray animal but turned around to investigate. As her eyes landed on the sight of red laser dots dancing across various surfaces, including her own body, realization struck her. Someone had intruded upon the supposed impenetrable security of D'Amico Cassano.

In that moment, the dogs within the mansion's grounds began to bark, sensing the presence of an unwelcome intruder. Panic surged through Celia's veins as she instinctively ran back toward the safety of the mansion. She couldn't help but think that this might be her last day on Earth. Why did everyone want her dead?

She thanked her fortunate wound for its rapid healing, giving her the physical advantage. Her gut told her not to stop, for if she did, she wouldn't survive the next second. Climbing the stairs with determination, she made a beeline for Venezio's office. The sound of footsteps thudded behind her, amplifying her sense of urgency. Cursing under her breath, she pounded on the office door before forcefully swinging it open, disregarding any permission.

For a fleeting moment, she held her breath, cursing yet again. The office room lacked the presence of the Don himself. She had no idea which wing of the mansion he resided in. Determined, she set off to find him, fervently hoping that the person chasing her wouldn't catch up before she reached Venezio. Her friends might not even get the chance to see her lifeless body.

Running through the corridors of the North wing, she couldn't locate him there. Undeterred, she sprinted toward the East wing, opening any door that came into her line of sight. The last three doors were her only hope for escaping the impending danger. The first door was securely locked, and she prayed fervently to find a living soul behind the remaining two doors. The second room proved empty as well, heightening her desperation. She approached the third door, bracing herself for disappointment. With a final prayer, she pushed it open, desperately hoping to find someone, anyone.