58

The opulent mansion, nestled in the heart of Rome, basked in an ethereal glow as the sun gracefully descended beyond the horizon. Its allure mirrored the enigmatic existence of Venezio D'Amico Cassano, the infamous mafia don and ruler of the Italian underworld. But tonight, there was a distinct atmosphere of anticipation. The return of a woman from Venezio's past had officially rekindled a connection that had long been dormant.

Celia Ferrari a force that demanded respect and fear in Venezio's world in the past years. Yet, tonight, she sat at the grand dining table, surrounded by Venezio, their son, Inizio, and Venezio's sister, Dalia D'Amico Cassano. And Alessia Armani Venezio's assistant.

As they shared their meal, the air crackled with tension and unspoken emotions. Venezio's eyes were fixed on Celia, observing her every move as she delicately cut her food. Occasionally, her gaze would drift to Inizio, who sat quietly in his high chair, oblivious to the intricate complexities surrounding him. Her lustrous hair cascaded in waves around her shoulders, a stark contrast to the steely determination etched upon her countenance.

Dalia, broke the silence. "Venezio, you can't possibly be serious about this," she exclaimed, her voice betraying her disbelief. "Bringing her back into our lives? Entangling our family affairs with her presence again?"

Venezio's piercing gaze met Dalia's, his face composed yet unwavering. "Dalia, she is the mother of my child," he stated firmly. "Inizio deserves to know his family, to have their presence in his life."

Alessia, interjected her voice laced with concern. "But Don, you must consider the risks involved. The government has been closing in on Celia, and if any other mafia factions discover her as a former agent, both you and her will be targeted."

Venezio's eyes shifted to Inizio, his voice tinged with a mix of protectiveness and vulnerability. "I am well aware of the risks, Alessia. But I cannot deny Inizio his mother."

Celia's gaze met Venezio's, uncertainty flickering in her eyes. "Does that mean he will become the next Don of D'Amico Cassano?" Dalia interjected, keenly observing the exchange between Venezio and Celia.

"No!" Celia spoke, her voice laced with determined reluctance.

Venezio arched an eyebrow, his gaze shifting between Inizio and Celia. "Inizio is the heir of D'Amico Cassano. As the eldest child of mine, he will be the next Don of the D'Amico Cassano famiglia."

In a surge of frustration and defiance, Celia slammed her fork onto the dining table, startling everyone in the room, though the elder members remained unperturbed. "This is about you, Venezio D'Amico Cassano! Inizio might be your blood and an heir to your legacy, but to me, he is my child, not a pawn to showcase and destroy others' lives!" Her voice was low, audible only to him, but the determination in her words was sharp and resolute.

Alessia remained silent, her eyes darting between each family member, her thoughts veiled behind a mask of contemplation. Finally, she spoke again, her voice measured yet filled with concern. "What about the daughter of Mister and Missus young D'Amico cassano, Don?"

Venezio leaned back in his chair, a resolute gleam in his eyes. "He has rejected any interference of his daughter with mafia."

"Until there is no other siblings of Inizio he will be given no choice to choose." Venezio determined and Celia choked on the water she was drinking while wiping the water off from her face and giving him a sharp and challenging look. In response Venezio only lifted his left brow with a mischievous twitch of his lips.

Inizio, sensing the tension, broke the silence with his innocent babbling, his laughter momentarily piercing through the somber atmosphere, as they again dulged themselves in the meal, with full attentiveness towards the young member of D'Amico cassano.