Chapter 16 - The rite of descension, the start of a "play"

~•~•~

"this is... is this true? Lyra, are you really the reincarnation of both the Qilin Adeptus that died during the Archon war 3000 years ago and the prior Tianquan?" – "I do not lie about such things. Even Barbatos knows this. Actually, now that I think about it... I see you still have the earring I gave you, Rex Lapis.", Lyra smiles at him. Zhongli's eyes widen. "so you are Liliang... and if you didn't lie about that, then you are also Azure... is something like this really possible? Reincarnation over multiple lives?", he asks.

Lyra sighs. "sadly. This is my 15th life. My first one was 7000 years ago, however putting all years together I was actually alive, it should be a lot shorter." Zhongli looks at her silently while she drowns into her thoughts. "12 + 70 + 4200 + 17 + 1190 + 570 + 86 + 85 + 68 + 92 + 85 + 71 + 67 + 70 + my current 18 years... so from 7000 years, I have actually lived 6701 years.", she mutters as she computes her age from all her lives.

Zhongli's eyes widen. "that is still a lot for a mortal- oh, right... you were an Adepti at some point... an older one than me as well... I still can't believe that out of the two of us, I, the one 900 years younger adepti, was the one to become a god... what else gave you a longer lifespan?" – "I can tell you what else I was. A cryo spirit is one of them.", Lyra chimes.

"cryo spirit?", the geo archon asks. Lyra sighs. "it was my sixth life. My name then was Nix. Cryo spirits are human-like creatures of Snezhnaya. They can live for centuries. They are pure cryo elemental beings and are reliant on the cold, meaning that if a cryo spirit were to stay in a warmer climate for even just a few hours, they would die." – "interesting. Well, then, either way, you lived very long nonetheless."

Lyra sighs once more. "I suppose so... however, this cycle of rebirth will not stop any time soon..." Zhongli looks down a little. Then, he sits down beside Lyra. "it is very cruel for you to live like this... but perhaps there is something that can cheer you up.", Zhongli comments.

Lyra raises her head, facing him. Zhongli raises one of his hands. Lyra looks down at his hand, seeing a letter in it. Her eyes widen. "prophecy of Dragonspine... did you read it already?" Zhongli nods. "the lady who knows the most, will come to aid your call. As history repeats, she will guide the people to victory- for the better of most. To fulfil her destiny, all gnoses she will acquire. Having the gnosis of anemo, she is one step higher. Toppling Celestia from their throne, breaking their fake peace and establishing her own. Teyvat will come to see the truth and the kingdom of old will rise anew.", he recites.

Lyra looks at Zhongli shocked. To get out of her trance, she shakes her head. "I am supposed to get all the gnoses? I mean, Whisp only gave me his, since he is an absent archon, and he does not need it anymore in his role of a normal bard. He also told me that I am worthier of having the gnosis than him...", Lyra mumbles.

Zhongli smiles. "and so do I. you have proven twice to me that you can be a great leader. You didn't think twice to protect the other Adepti, your own daughter included, and you brought Liyue more prosperity than other Tianquans.", he states. Lyra's eyes widen. "wait a second! Are you thinking of stepping down?" – "yes... I made a... contract with the cryo archon. Depending on the outcome, I will step down from my position and hand over my gnosis."

Lyra's slime falters. "but doesn't that mean that you cannot hand it over to me? After all, it is what the prophecy wants, but a contract is a contract..." Zhongli sighs. "in a normal case, yes. But we are talking about a prophecy here. Prophecies outweigh contracts. I am not breaking my contract, as that is not what I should do as the god of contracts, however, if the prophecy is correct, then you should know what to do."

Lyra thinks for a moment. "I already managed to fool the fatui once... actually-" Lyra stops. 'should I actually tell him? Better not yet...' "I have an idea... could I... see the gnosis?" Zhongli nods and shows Lyra his gnosis.

"so this is how yours looks like...", she mumbles. "if you would like to, you can take it into your hands. I trust you won't 'take' it away." Zhongli smirks. 'does he know what I am planning?' Lyra carefully takes the gnosis from his hands. 'copy' she copies his gnosis and at the same moment, she puts the real one into her inventory.

The copy of the geo gnosis is exactly like the one she made from the anemo gnosis- no one except her can tell the difference between the real and fake one. "I can feel the power radiating from it", Lyra says as she hands the copy over to Zhongli. "by now I would've thought you did something with the gnosis, but it seems you did not.", Zhongli states. Lyra giggles at him, then smirks.

"I am full of surprises. Also, I am certain that this little contract of yours will go as planned. You deserve your step down. I am looking forward to seeing what you have planned, Rex lapis."

~•~•~

It is the day of the rite of descension. Lyra stands with Aether and Paimon at the front, close to the middle of the descension site. In the middle is a noble woman in gold and white clothing. "who...?", Aether starts as he gets cut off by Lyra.

"that is Ningguang, the Tianquan of the Liyue Qixing.", she informs him. Ningguang looks up to the sky, one of her hands blocking the sun from her eyes. Then she steps forward. "the time is upon us."

The Tianquan summons gemstones and starts the calling. A beam of light strikes into the sky. Then, the sky starts turning dark and a dragon falls to the ground. Lyra's eyes widen.

"R-rex Lapis...?", Lyra breathes out as she takes a step back. Ningguang goes closer to the body of the dragon and kneels in front of it. Then she stands back up, looking at the crowd. "Rex Lapis has been killed! Seal the exits!"

"wha... what's going on?! Did she just say Rex Lapis is... the Geo Archon... is... DEAD?!", Paimon freaks out. "oh no, the Millelith! Looks like they're nabbing suspects who got too close. Paimon's freaking out. The killer is among us! Wait... we got close... are we suspects?! Wait, where are you going? Also, Lyra, snap out of it." Lyra shakes her head, then runs with Aether and Paimon.

"I... I need some time to myself... stay hidden." With that, Lyra disappears.

"well, seems like we have to get away on our own..."

~•~•~

Lyra runs through the city invisible. She looks at places where she thinks Zhongli would be at. She finally finds him walking down the streets and she sighs in relief.

"Zhongli! There you are." Zhongli turns around. "oh? You seem stressed. Now that I think about it... didn't you want to go to the rite of parting? How come you just came from the opposite direction from the site of the rite?" – "I have my ways... regardless... that little stunt of yours... I actually thought they went against your little contract." Lyra's eyes glare at Zhongli unamused.

Zhongli sighs. "I owe you a lot for your time in the past. As such, you may come with me for now. You will eventually see what I am trying to do." Lyra scoffs. "alright. but you are not yet off the hook, Zhongli. I seriously thought you were hurt. I wouldn't dare forgive myself if I had lost you just the day after I found you again."

"I apologise deeply, Lyra. I did not want you to worry. Now come. I have a little meeting with someone tomorrow. I am certain he won't mind you coming along." – "if that is so, then I hope you don't mind me going off for today? I am actually a traveller with two other travelling companions, and I just left them to search for you. Where is this little meeting you will have?", Lyra inquires.

Zhongli smiles. "I would like to meet you at the parlour first. We can go there together." – "alright. but I deserve answers tomorrow."

~•~•~