Chapter 19 - Nuctilucous jade and the finest silk flowers for the geo lord

~•~•~

The trio and Zhongli walk out of Liuli Pavilion. "After having experienced the land of the absentee archon, Travellers, how does it feel to know that our archon and Adepti are here all around you in Liyue?", Zhongli asks. Aether shrugs. "I prefer the atmosphere in Mondstadt."

"I see, so you're that sort of person. It's not a bad thing. But I suppose you have yet to experience the substance of Liyue's 3700 years of divinity.", Zhongli answers as Lyra chuckles. "I still like Sumeru more than any of the other nations. Regardless, Organising the Rite of Parting should prove to be an enlightening part of our travels.", she says as she grins. "I already thought so. You value knowledge above most things, after all. Other than that, I agree with Lilia.", Zhongli says, smiling at Lyra.

"Lilia? Well, I bet that is one of her past lives names as there is no way that Lyra would know you from this life.", Aether mutters. "oh, so they know?", Zhongli inquires. "yes. Not really something that needs explaining. The three of us are travelling companions." Zhongli nods.

"Liyue is the most prosperous of the seven nation, defended by deities and ruled by the Qixing. As such, the diplomatic manoeuvring of the Fatui have gained no purchase here. Ningguang of the Qixing has always been on her guard against the Fatui. That is in all likelihood why Childe wants to make use of the Wangsheng funeral parlour's connections.", Zhongli explains. "oh, so he is not aware...", Lyra mumbles to herself, only audible to Zhongli.

"huh... what would Childe get out of us doing the Rite of Parting anyway?", Paimon asks, completely oblivious of what Lyra said. "I neither know nor do I wish to know. As far as I am concerned, the Fatui are merely financial sponsors. I only wish for Liyue's traditions to endure.", the disguised god answers.

Zhongli takes out a bag of mora and hands it to Aether. "These are the advance funds that Child has provided. If you use them up, you can go to him to apply for any subsequent funding." – "Wow...", was all Paimon could say. "Well then, let us be off. The first step in our preparations shall be to obtain some prize Noctilucous Jade worthy of a deity."

~•~•~

"Welcome to the Jade Mystery, my good friends! Would you like to try your luck betting on jade? This could be your lucky day. It's cheap and it's fun, and who knows, you just might strike it rich!", the person that stands behind the stand says. "Betting? No, no, we're here for... uhm, what was it again?", Paimon asks. Lyra sighs.

"Noctilucous Jade, of radiant grade at the very least.", Lyra says, confidence and dominance radiating in her voice. Zhongli chuckles. 'your Tianquan is showing, Lilia. This is exactly how you used to get what you needed here around Liyue in just your life prior...', he thinks to himself.

"Radiant grade Noctilucous Jade? I see, you're not a tourist. My apologies. I have some here for your perusal." The seller says as he takes out multiple samples of Noctilucous Jade. "What do you think? The Jade Mystery is an old name in the jade business. Just look at that wonderful quality! Rex Lapis doesn't often bless us with such finery. Go on, pick whichever one you like!"

Lyra smiles at the others, motioning her head towards the jade, indicating that they should decide. "these three pieces really do look pretty, not like the ones you usually dig up... but how do we pick? Should we just grab one and go?", Paimon asks. Aether shakes his head. "a man who makes his living off betting on stones can't be trusted so lightly.", he argues. Zhongli nods. "very good. It seems you have learned tricks of the trade.", he praises.

"what do you think, Mr. Zhongli? How should we pick from these pieces of Noctilucous Jade?", Paimon asks him. "oh? You want me to decide? That is fine as well. If it were me, the answer would be simple." – "oh? And that would be...?", Paimon asks him. Lyra softly chuckles, knowing where this will go.