Chapter 24 - the palace in the skies, the Jade Chamber

~•~•~

Looking around Yinyan temple for a little while, they see a lone man, standing beside a small floating platform. "That must be him, right?", Paimon asks. Lyra looks at her shortly, before approaching the man.

"Excuse me. Is this the way to the Jade chamber?", she asks him. "Yes, it is. May I know your purpose?" She simply smiles at him, taking out the letter the trio received. "The value of of the moon is smaller than that of all the stars.", she states as the man takes the letter.

"Ah, of course. Please, use this to ascend to the chamber, dear guests." , the man says, stepping aside. Smiling once more, Lyra ushers the others to step onto the floating platform with her.

'How did she know that code... Lady Ningguang only gave that code to the prior Tianquan... but she died long ago... what's going on here...', the man thinks to himself.

Once up on the Jade chamber, they head inside to meet Ningguang. As they enter, Ningguang turns to the door. "I've been waiting for you, returnee from Jeuyun Karst.", she greets them.

"ah, it's Ningguang!", Paimon exclaims. Lyra gives a small bow while smiling politely at her. "Thank you for having us, Lady Ningguang.", she says. Aether takes a quick look around before saying something himself. "It's my first time coming to a place this high up..."

"this place floats in the skies, higher than the peak of any mountain. From this vantage point, one may survey all of Liyue. I have been gathering the funds necessary to build it from the time I began learning the merchant's craft. And since becoming the Tianquan, I have spared no effort in hiring the best craftsmen to constantly extend it... at first, it was but the size of one room. Now it is large enough to blot out the moon in the skies above Liyue. One day, I believe it will overshadow all seven nations.", Ningguang explains.

'This Tianquan does not lack for ambition.', Aether thinks to himself. Lyra smiles reminiscently, lost in thought herself. 'Just like you always dreamed, as you told me. And as ambitious as ever as well. If she soaked up all my lessons, then she definitely has been keeping a watch on us ever since we stepped foot into Liyue.'

"Not many from outside Liyue earn the right to ascend to the Jade chamber. But I have been in correspondence with the acting grand master of the knights of Favonius, who spoke highly of you. As such, I have been putting my eyes and ears out ever since you reached Liyue. And I finally got wind of your movements when you were on the way to Wangshu inn.", Ningguang relays.

Paimon looks at her perplexed, while Lyra hides a small smirk. 'If I remember correctly, everyone at Wangshu inn works for the Qixing.' "Wait... was Verr Goldet one of your people?!", Paimon asks Ningguang.

"Just Verr Goldet?... no. Everyone at Wangshu inn is one of ours.", she answers bluntly. Lyra shakes her head as the other two look at Ningguang, worried. "Before my two travelling companions get any more worried, would you mind telling us the reason for calling us here?", she diverts the topic.

Ningguang nods, then signals them to follow her to her office. Once there, Ningguang speaks up again. "First and foremost. I wouldn't expect you to trust us, considering that you have had far more interactions with the adepti. The reason I invited you here was to clear up some misunderstandings.", she starts. "I believe you've heard of the Archon war?"

Lyra solemnly nods, while Aether thinks for a moment. "Not much, only a few mentions.", he states. Ningguang nods to that.

"Many gods used to walk this earth, and many long wars were fought between them that did not abate until 2,000 years ago. Much blood was shed, and many lives were lost. In the end, only seven victors remained standing in Teyvat. They built cities and nations on the corpses of the vanquished, and thus began the era of the seven. You can see Guyun stone forest from here, I trust? It is no natural rock formation – those are giant spears of rock, hurled by Rex lapis during the war. Beneath the spears lie those cast down by Rex lapis in those days: gods that failed to seize the title of archon. Not only is it true that many gods die, but so too has the membership of the seven changed over the last two millennia. Rex lapis' passing is an unimaginable disaster for Liyue, but the order of the seven will not collapse simply because of that. Another lord of geo will arise sooner or later, yet how are we to forget Rex lapis? When that time comes, the relationship between the people of Liyue and the gods and adepti will surely be different from before. Even in a new era, the Liyue Qixing remain Rex lapis' former subjects... do you really think us capable of having played a part in his demise? Or lacking the foresight to see the certain repercussions?", Ningguang asks.