Chapter 42 - of Salt and Betrayal

~•~•~

"...what are all these? What did they see... what did they do? What... what happened?", Wanyan asks as Zhongli and Lyra had caught up with her, looking at statues, that seemed to be running away.

The way ahead is blocked by a big door.

"Since you do not trust me, let us continue onward. That which lies beyond this door will show you all that happened back then.", Zhongli says, opening the door.

~•~•~

As the group goes through the door, they see more statues running from the centre of the room. In said centre, there is a statue with it's hands raised up high as if holding something. In front of the statue is a huge pile of salt.

Lyra gasps at the sight, covering her mouth with her hands.

"Is this...?", she trails off.

"This is the scene of the crime. Havria's body dissipated, leaving nothing but these traces of salt. Her dying moments have since been frozen in time to this very day.", Zhongli says. As the two women stay silent, Zhongli continues.

"The story continues that some among her people realised at last that this gentle, kind but weak god could never protect anyone in wartime. The archon war was cruel in the extreme. Instead of consigning her to the agony of defeat, they thought it would be better to give her a quick release. The statues... no matter how weak the god, the power that flows forth when they are slain is beyond the strength of mortal coils to bear. Those who could no flee were thus transformed. Those of her people who were untouched by this disaster left for Liyue, where they sought refuge with Rex lapis. Their descendants feared Havria's remnants and lived in terror that she had laid upon them an eternal curse... so they risked their lives to come here to break the sword, and offer up obeisances in hopes that her anger might be appeased. But they need not have done so. For how could a god who had never once resisted – even till the end – nurse hatred for her people in her heart?"

As Zhongli finishes off with explaining, Lyra was already in tears.

'To be betrayed and abandoned by your own people... it must have hurt... but Zhongli is right... she would never bare any hatred towards her own people, no matter how much they have hurt her.'

"I-I... even if this is so, I can't... this must be a lie... a false history... all of it! Don't you dare try to... shake my faith!", Wanyan accuses, running off in despair.

"Havria... you had not deserved this fate...", Lyra mumbles through her tears, falling to her knees.

"Lilia...", Zhongli mutters, kneeling beside her, offering his presence to her.

Looking back at the pile of salt that once was her goddess friend, Lyra sees something shimmer within it. Moving forward, she looks through the pile of salt, unearthing a single earring.

"An earring? If I am not mistaken, I believe Guizhong had the other pair of the earring...", Zhongli mutters from behind her.

"This is... this is the earring i gave Havria. As you know, I knew Havria and Guizhong before I met you. As a sign of our friendship I made a pair of earrings, giving one to each. Both of them loved the idea of sharing an earring pair as a sign of unity between us. I... I don't know if I could ever wear it myself, it... it hurts too much to do so. But, I wish to claim this for myself.", Lyra explains.

"Of course. That shall be your claim.", Zhongli agrees. After a moment of silence, he speaks up again.

"Now, do you want to accompany me to a trip to Guyun stone forest? I believe it will help you clear your mind about this.", he offers.

"Yes, let's go."

~•~•~

"You know... Paimon wonders... how is Lyra doing in Liyue? Is she alright on her own?", the flying companion asks the blonde traveller out of the blue.

"I don't think we need to worry that much about her, Paimon. She has lots of friends there, some of which she probably also considers family. Also if you are worried she won't be able to keep herself safe, then you definitely don't need to worry. Out of our trio, she is probably currently the strongest.", Aether answers.

"You say 'currently'... why?"

"well, that is because I am also on my way collecting all the elements as we travel though the nations. Plus, with how much we fight, I believe I am getting stronger every day. Also, don't forget that my actual powers have just been locked away and I was able to travel between worlds with said power!"

"yeah, but Lyra is still able to use her powers and abilities from her past life. Not to mention, she has the anemo gnosis from Venti as well! Of course, should she use one of her dangerous powers, she could accidentally kill herself, but imagine she didn't have those drawbacks! You wouldn't be able to catch up with her then!", Paimon boasts her friend.

"I suppose so... though now that makes me curious, of all the fighters here in Mondstadt, who would be the strongest?"

"oh! It has to be Acting grand master Jean or master Diluc!"

"hmm... well, let's ask around the tavern and see what their opinions are!"

~•~•~