Chapter 28 - the closing act of the "play"

~•~•~

As the trio is alone, Lyra sighs."alright. Let's look for Zhongli.", she says.

"Huh? Why are we doing that? Paimon thought we would first investigate Rex lapis' 'death'?"

"which is why we need to find Zhongli. The rite of Parting is our strongest lead after all.", she explains.

"Paimon cant argue with that... thought that reminds Paimon. If your prior life was called Azure, where does Zhongli's nickname of 'Lilia' come from?" Lyra shakes her head.

"You'll find out soon enough."

Arriving at Wangsheng funeral parlour, they ask the front staff about him. "Excuse me, do you know where Zhongli is?", Lyra asks.

"Unfortunately, Zhongli isn't here at the moment. It seems he went to Northland bank." – "thank you.", Lyra nods and leads the trio to Northland bank.

"Doesn't the northland bank belong to the fatui?" – "Paimon, enough of your questions. All will be clear in due time.", Lyra cuts off Paimon's train of thought.

Aether and Paimon look at each other. "You know something we don't, don't you?", Aether asks.

"Perhaps I do, perhaps I don't. We'll see.", Lyra taunts.

"You totally do!", Paimon exclaims.

~•~•~

Once they arrive at Northland bank, they see Childe, Signora and Zhongli. "You call this 'cooperation between harbingers'? Cooperation involves communication, you know...", Childe says.

'Seems like it will all be cleared up now.', Lyra thinks.

"Hehe, don't take it to heart, Childe. Besides, aren't you happy that you got to skip the formalities and bring chaos to the land? I'm sure you must've enjoyed that...", Signora says. She then looks upon the trio.

"... oh, it seems that some of your friends have arrived.", she announces.At that, Zhongli and Childe look at the newcomers. "Hey, it's Zhongli and Childe! And.... You! Signora!", Paimon exclaims.

"Haha, it's you three. I believe we've met once before... in the city of bards, was it? I'm glad you still remember my name. Ah, right. I imagine that it must have been rather hart to forget watching helplessly as something precious was snatched away from your friend.", Signora taunts.

As Aether was about to step forward, Lyra holds her arm out to stop him. As such, he relents. "Well, if it isn't Aether, Paimon and Lyra-" – "Childe. I may still be recuperating from our fight but I am not afraid to hit you.", Lyra snaps at him.

Effectively. Childe shuts up. 'So she is able to instil enough authority over Childe to shut him up... interesting...', Signora thinks to herself.

"anyway... straight to the point... Zhongli and Signora deceived me... curse them for leading me on.", Childe spits.

Lyra chuckles, then sighs while crossing her arms, drawing the attention of the others to her. "Figures... I assume you're here to fulfil your contract, Rex?", Lyra says as she eyes Zhongli.

"What in the world are you talking about?!", Paimon exclaims. "Ah... seems you know...", Signora says.

"... the contract is fulfilled. That which thou seeketh is now bestowed unto thee, for my promise is solid as stone.", Zhongli states as he hands out his gnosis.

"Hmph, how sanctimonious.", Signora says as she takes the gnosis, being careful to hold it tightly. Aether looks at them dumbfounded.

"So Zhongli is actually Rex lapis?" – "what! So you're the lord of geo?! No, wait! That's an exciting twist and all – but why give the gnosis to the Fatui?!", Paimon exclaims.