Chapter 26 - the golden house

~•~•~

Arriving back at the harbour, the group is approached by a Fatui underling. As Lyra eyes him suspiciously, he starts talking to Zhongli.

"Ah, you're the consultant of Wangsheng funeral parlour – mr. Zhongli, I presume?" As Zhongli nods, the fatui underling continues. "The Millelith are watching our every move now. These are desperate times, we mustn't act rashly.", the underling says.

"Desperate times?", Zhongli questions. The travelling trio merely listens to their conversation. "The adepti of Jueyun Karst are finally on the move.", the underling explains. "do they intend to exercise force?", Zhongli inquires.

"most likely. I've heard that some members of the Qixing have already gone to meet them... well, I say 'meet', but it's more like they're attempting to stall the adepti outside the city. However, both sides were quite obstinate, and hit an impasse." – "...it seems inevitable, given the current situation.", Zhongli admits.

"the adepti do not acknowledge the Qixing, not after the Tianquan change at least, they only acknowledge the contracts of the geo archon. If the two sides come to blows, Liyue harbour will be in no position to stop them.", the fatui recruit says.

"surely the Liyue Qixing are not the sort to give in so easily?" – "hmph. Their bone-headedness is known throughout the lands. Yet it's because of that obstinacy that mortals and adepti are now on the verge of conflict.", the recruit grumbles.

"and what now? How is it that the Fatui have come under fire?", Zhongli asks, raising an eyebrow. "ugh... that's all Ningguang's during... she proclaimed that 'in these tumultuous times, the Millelith must rein in the actions of the Fatui.' Only now do they want to start keeping tabs on us? Huh! That's the Qixing for you! Anyway, mr. Zhongli, you're one of Childe's close associates. Please understand that your actions will reflect on us. Don't let anyone catch you off-guard."

This is when Paimon decides to cut in. "It looks like things are about to boil over in Liyue harbour..." – "is there anything we can do?", Aether asks. "Do you intend to use your neutral identity as an intermediary between both sides? Or, will you use your sword to turn the balance? Neither path is an easy one...", Zhongli answers, as Lyra nods, agreeing.

"Oh, by the way, mr. Zhongli. We've heard that the Wangsheng funeral parlour has also been caught up in all this. They're currently squaring off with he authorities at the gates." Zhongli merely sighs as the fatui underling leaves.

"Things are taking a turn for the worse... I'm afraid I must leave now to handle things back at Wangsheng funeral parlour. I hope that director Hu has been able to keep things under control for the moment. Consider your next course of action carefully, Lyra, Aether. If you're trying to prevent an explosion, it may be wisest to look for the fuse first." With that, Zhongli turns to the city and leaves the trio.

"Whew... having connections with the fatui seems to be quite the double-edged sword. So what did Zhongli mean by looking for the 'fuse'?", Paimon asks.

"Childe. If there's anyone that wants to see the whole city turned upside down, it's definitely him. He must be waiting for the moment when no one is watching to do something really bad.", Aether answers.

"But where could we find him now? Where would he go at a time like this?" – "there's only one place he would go.", Lyra says, glaring at the path ahead into the city.

~•~•~

Lyra leads her travelling companions through the city, only to go out the other exit of the city towards the golden house. "Come, we have no time to waste.", Lyra says as she opens the door of the golden house and ushers the other two inside.