Chapter 27 - Osail, Overlord of the Vortex

~•~•~

Lyra manoeuvres the cloud up to the Jade chamber, letting it disappear as they arrive. They look out to the sea to see a raging monster – Osial.

"Paimon's exhausted... if we hadn't happened to see the Jade chamber flying over just as we came out of the golden house, we really wouldn't have known which way to go... whew, did we make it in time?", Paimon asks.

"What... are you doing here?", they hear Xiao from behind them. They look around to see the Qixing and Adepti standing behind them.

"Huh... hold on! It's the adepti! What are you doing on the Jade chamber? Paimon thought you were arguing with the Qixing... is the fighting over?" – "Faced with a calamity of such magnitude, we have agreed to put our differences aside for now and unite against this common enemy.", Ningguang answers.

Moon Carver scoffs at this. Lyra sighs. "No time for this. How would Azure feel knowing the Qixing are not willing to compromise with the Adepti until disaster comes? And how would Adeptus Liliang feel knowing the Adepti do the same to the Qixing?", she remarks.

Xiao, knowing her identities, looks away. All collectively stay silent. "Thought so. Now... how do you plan to defend Liyue?", Lyra asks.

"Uhh... just seeing this Overlord of the Vortex guy puts a pit in Paimon's tummy, even from all the way out here." To that, one of the Qixing steps forward.

The trio realise that that must be Keqing, the one Ningguang told them about. "It's not just you. We've got new Millelith recruit who can't even stand at attention without shaking. The force of an ancient god's presence seems to be too much for ordinary people to handle... which is why we must stop that monster before it gets any closer to Liyue harbour!", she says.

"So the Archon war was fought 2000 year ago against enemies like that thing? Now that's scary...", Paimon mutters. "So will the power of the Qixing, Millelith and Adepti gathered here be enough to stop that god?", she asks after.

"We've already discussed this together, and our conclusion is... not necessarily.", Ningguang says. "What?! But all of you are supposed to be the guardians of Liyue. Can't you think of something?", Paimon exclaims.

To that, cloud retainer speaks up. "One certainly could. The Qixing did once research the matter of the Guizhong Ballista when it piqued their fancy. And as fate would have it, one, who did craft the Guizhong Ballista which one's own hands, is here... for what could you mortals ever learn of the adepti mechanisms? Yet it would take one but a little tinkering to turn this ballista into an engine of war beyond your wildest thoughts."

"heh, I suppose this is one blessing from the adepti that we should be thankful for.", Ningguang says.

Lyra nods. "So be it. We shall use the upgraded Guizhong Ballista to fight off Osial. All adepti here can lend their strength to man it. Ningguang. The spell book of Azure. Use the Ballista spell she made.", she says, falling back into her Tianquan persona.

Ningguang blinks a few times at Lyra, then nods. "We haven't a moment to spare. Our battle begins now!", Ningguang says, teleporting into the sky, performing the spell that Lyra was talking about.

A platform appears with three Guizhong ballistas on it. Cloud retainer, moon carver and mountain shaper mount one of the three ballistas each. Using their power, they attack Osial.

Looking down onto the platform that was created, Lyra notices portals. "Look! Fatui! They are attacking the Guizhong ballista!", she says.

Not even a moment later, both Keqing and Aether jump down. Lyra also prepares to jump onto the platform, but stops as she coughs, folding into herself. Xiao rushes to her side, helping her stand.