Chapter 29 - the rite of parting

~•~•~

As the trio parted with Zhongli, they head up to Yujing terrace. Noticing some commotion, they head over to see what is going on. There they see a Millelith officer, ready to give an announcement.

"Hear 'ye all the Qixing's words: though a dragon soars ageless as the mountains, it too must return to dust. This is common knowledge. Gods and adepti live glorious lives, but both light and shadow have their season. So, too, must they face divinely-appointed trials. Rumours hand hearsay abound on the streets that Rex lapis was murdered. Now, let the truth be revealed. Having been thwarted in his trial, Rex lapis' soul has recouped the celestial heights. He beseeches the people of Liyue to grieve not and to let not their hearts be saddened. Nor are they to believe street-borne rumours or indulge in baseless speculation.", the officer says.

With that, the officer bows and leaves. "Ah... um, Paimon needs a translation on what the Qixing's announcement said."

Lyra chuckles. "They said that Rex lapis died because of a divine trial.", she simplifies.

"... so that's how they're spinning it... something feels off. Why would they suddenly give up looking for the murderer? Not to mention how this excuse sounds like something they just made up on the spot. Could the Qixing already have known that Rex lapis wasn't dead? But Zhongli said that neither they nor the adepti knew anything... hmm... did Zhongli tell them in secret after his gnosis changed hands?", Paimon speculates.

"That's possible.", Aether mumbles. "Exactly, right? Ooh, seems like the rite of parting has been going on for a while now. Let's have a look.", Paimon says as she points towards the site of the rite of parting.

~•~•~

Standing in the crowd at the rite of parting, the trio listens in to what Ningguang herself has to say. "... as said previously, Rex lapis' soul returning to the heavens is the end of the contract, and it is also the end of an era.", Ningguang begins.

"3700 years of contracts, burnt and reduced to ash...", one of the audience members says.

"We, the people of Liyue were indeed prosperous. But blinded by our prosperity, we forgot that time can be pitiless.", Ningguang continues.

"The long, unending dream of our archon walking among us...", another member of the audience mutters.

"Now that we have awoke from our dream, we must learn to say farewell. Will you stand with us as we re establish our contracts – as we build a new age of prosperity?", Ningguang asks the crowd.

The audience bows slightly in agreement. "So concludes the words of her eminence, the Tianquan.", Ganyu continues, "does her eminence the Yuheng have anything to add?"

At that, Keqing looks at the trio. "Eh? Is she looking this way?", Paimon asks. "Travellers.", Keqing says as she walks towards the trio.

"Are those the travellers who they say defeated the ancient god? So young...", the crowd says.

"The Liyue Qixing always repay their debts. And as you have heard, our eyes see far and our reach is long. Name your price. You deserve that much.", Keqing says to them.

"Whoa...", Paimon mutters. Aether looks at Lyra, seemingly asking for help. "You decide, Aether. I do not have anything I wish for.", she merely says.