Chapter 40 - Fatui scum

~•~•~

Once the archeology group is further into the ruins, they discover a strange ruler on an alter. "Ha, just a simple ruler. Doesn't look to be worth anything.", Kliment mocks.

"This... if I remember correctly, this is some kind of measuring tool.", Wanyan mumbles out loud.

"Indeed. But the god of salt imbued it with another power. When you stick this ruler in the ground, the surrounding area will become covered in salt, much like a rising tide covers the earth. The deeper it is stuck in the ground, the more salt will appear. It is essentially a 'bumper harvest' of salt.", Zhongli explains.

"Th-that's even better than the salt chalice!", Kliment stutters out.

"Hmm... as impressive as it is, I already stated that I have no interest in taking anything big with me. Just... something small, and... with more personal worth than these.", Lyra states, looking at the others. Zhongli nods.

"Well then, according to our contract, the salt ruler goes to miss Wanyan.", he says.

"No! Unacceptable! I paid for and organised this entire expedition. Why should I get the short end of the stick! And this girl has been useless. Why should she get anything?!", Kliment complains.

"Are you implying that you want to break the contract?", Lyra says, venom in her eyes.

"So what if I break it? Now that I've seen how the mechanisms in this ruin work, I no longer need you. Let's not forget who hired who here. Why should I let you make the rules?", Kliment says confidently, having his back turned to the group.

"Because you agreed to a contract. Rex lapis once said: 'ones who break their contracts shall suffer the wrath of the rock.'", Zhongli states.

"'And the fury of the Qilin.', Adeptus Liliang once added.", Lyra adds, glaring at Kliment.

"That is one of your Liyue gods and adepti. I am from Shneznaya, I-", Kliment argues, getting cut off by Lyra.

"- Will suffer the wrath of the rock and the fury of the fallen Qilin, you filthy Fatui scum.", she spits, holding out her polearm, ready to pounce at Kliment.

She looks at Zhongli, who also prepared his weapon as Kliment turns towards them, now in Fatui clothing. Zhongli gives her a short nod, and with that Lyra strikes Kliment.

Working together, Lyra and Zhongli manage to overpower Kliment quickly, making him let go of the chalice in his possession.

"I shall be taking that.", Lyra comments as she takes the chalice from the ground.

"You are not worthy to continue any further into the ruin. Leave this place.", Zhongli warns Kliment.

"Darn you... just you wait!", Kliment exclaims, running out of the ruins.

~•~•~

"I knew something was fishy about that guy. Ugh, I hate liars, especially those coming from the Fatui. Overcome with his greed, he broke the contract.", Lyra grumbles after taking a moment of calming herself down.

"Kliment's wrongdoing stemmed from greed, yes. But besides greed, there are many other things that may tempt us to break contracts.", Zhongli starts.

"When people see the object of their dreams, how many are really able to control their desire and follow the contract...? I think we should be honest with each other now. In truth, not a single member of this 'archaeological expedition' came here for archeology.", he continues.

"Wh-why do you say that?", Wanyan stutters out.

"Miss Wanyan, Zhongli was hired to go, I merely followed to spend more time with my friend and you lied about being an archaeologist. You lack even the most basic archeological knowledge and cannot recognise but a few simple relics. However, you are an expert when it comes to anything regarding the god of salt.", Lyra speaks up, taking a step towards her, her weapon long gone.

"You aren't interested in archeology or relics – what you're really interested in is the god of salt.", she states.

"I believe those legends about the god of salt that you mentioned on the Pearl galley are passed down between generations at Yinyuan hall...", Zhongli theorises.

"Okay! That's enough!", Wanyan shouts out.

Then, she sighs. "Sir, miss... you are indeed people of great knowledge and talents. I seem to have been right to seek you out, once I plucked up my courage. You're right. I'm not a scholar of archaeology. I come from one of the eight trades under the jurisdiction of the Qixing - Yinyuan hall of the salt industry. Our ancestors were those protected by the god of salt all those years, when the archon war engulfed the land in chaos.", Wanyan admits.

"Now that I think about it... you never even once called him 'lord of geo' nor 'Rex Lapis'... usually, those not of the nation or the adepti call him 'Morax'...", Lyra mutters.

"During the archon war, Morax assassinated our god out of envy for her power! He left us alone and lost in the world. We... we have him! But this is Morax's Liyue, after all, and its history is written as he wishes... so, I seek proof of Morax's guilt! He has blood on his hands, and cruelty in his heart!", Wanyan explains.

Lyra and Zhongli stay silent. 'She really believes that...? Why has Zhongli let this fake rumour go around...? Harvia was a weak, but kind god, and had an agreement with Harvia to help her keep her people safe during those dark times... this story doesn't make sense.', Lyra wonders in her thoughts.

"We agreed to a contract that we will face the truth head-on, didn't we, mr. Zhongli? You must judge this history fairly!", Wanyan continues.

"Naturally, of course. But I must add, Liyue is no longer Morax's Liyue. Come with me. All the answers you seek lie ahead.", Zhongli answers, walking ahead.

~•~•~