Chapter 39 - the domain of the god of salt

~•~•~

"Before entering the ruin, I have a proposal that will help us prevent the kind of senseless arguing between you two that we saw at Guyun Stone forest.", Zhongli says as they headed down the cavern. "Okay, what is it?", Wanyan asks.

"I propose you two agree upon a contract, stipulating that we alternate who gets claim to each treasure we encounter, with only one object permitted per claim. To show my sincerity, I wont be taking any treasure – this will just be between you all.", Zhongli proposes. Lyra thinks for a bit before speaking up. "I say this is a good contract. I also wish to take something with me... although I will have to see what exactly, I don't plan on taking anything too valuable.", she says.

"I don't agree! I mean... you want me to split the treasure with this amateur archaeologist? No, absolutely not!", Kliment complains.

"I don't agree either! Hmph, he will only defile the precious relics left behind by the god of salt! I-I can't accept this!", Wanyan argues.

"Well then... if the contract is not agreed upon, I will no longer serve as your consultant on this expedition.", Zhongli counters.

"The same also goes for me. You will have to rely on your own experience to find whatever treasures are hidden in this, as well as traps.", Lyra agrees with Zhongli.

"Y-you two have the audacity to demand this...", Kliment stutters out.

"Well, to be honest, I only joined due to Zhongli. I however, am not bound by you nor him nor her.", Lyra spits back.

"Okay then. Even half of the treasure in the long-sealed ruin of the god of salt should be enough to make a fortune.", Kliment begrudgingly agrees.

"If you want me to agree upon this contract, so be it... I just have one request, mr. Zhongli. If we discover the truth behind the god of salt, you must judge fairly, even if the truth harms Morax's image.", Wanyan says.

"I can accept this arrangement.", Zhongli nods. "Well then, let's go."

~•~•~

Entering the domain of the god of salt, they see odd white statues. Lyra narrows her eyes in suspicion. 'These statues... they look as if they are running away.'

The archeology group walks closer to the statues, examining them.

Wanyan takes a step back. "A-are these...statues?", she asks.

"No. These are people.", Zhongli states. Kliment looks at the statues in disgust.

"They were probably followers of the god of salt...", Lyra mutters.

"How did they become this way..?", Kliment questions.

"What in the world is hidden deep in this ruin..?", Wanyan mumbles.

Lyra shakes her head. "We should continue on... the only way to find out this ruin's secrets is by traversing them oneself.", she says, walking ahead.

Zhongli follows her closely while the other two hang a bit behind.

"... geode... you know that I have a close connection to many gods. I know what happens when a god dies... this statues... they are the result of her death, aren't they.", Lyra quietly says, making her question at the end sound more like a statement.

"... indeed... it is as you have guessed.", Zhongli whispers.

She sighs in response. "Let's get this done with.", she mumbles, walking a little after.

~•~•~

Walking further into the ruins, they discover an altar, occupied by a strange chalice. Wanyan runs over to the altar, looking back at the others.

"Look at this, it's filled halfway with salt.", she states.

"Just looks like a fancy salt holder. Seems like the god of salt was a god lacking in treasures.", Kliment remarks.

"From what I remember, this is no ordinary chalice. Although it is only half-full it is also forever half-full – that is to say, it is bottomless.", Lyra explains. Kliment looks at her with wide eyes.

"What?! You're saying that even if I pour the salt out, the amount inside wont change?!", he exclaims.

Zhongli nods his head. "Exactly."

Wanyan looks at the chalice in wonder. "Able to produce salt... the god of salt is powerful indeed!", she mutters.

"Finally, after all that effort, I've found precious treasure! I claim this as mine!", Kliment shouts out. "I just need to pour the endless salt into a thousand, or ten-thousand bags... I can sell it and make a fortune!", he cheers.

To this, Lyra glares at him. 'Only thinking about his own profit... he will definitely break the contract once he sees something that he sees as better...', she thinks to herself.

"Hey! How can you use a relic of the god of salt for such a shallow pursuit?!", Wanyan complains.

Zhongli merely nods at Kliment. "If mr. Kliment wants this salt chalice, then the next object we find will belong to either miss Wanyan or Lilia, according to the contract agreed upon.", he states.

"Of course, as we agreed. Hehe, but how can anything be worth more than this rare find?", Kliment says, cheerily.

Wanyan sighs. "Since we have a contract, it's no use for me to fight with him...", she grumbles.

"Then let's move on, shall we?", Zhongli asks the group, nudging his head the opposite way they came from. The group nods and they continue their search through the ruins.

~•~•~