Chapter 44 - a day with the small ginger child

~•~•~

"Now... what are you doing back here?? I thought after you and Signora got the gnosis, you left for Shneznaya!", Lyra immediately asks as they arrive upstairs.

"Wow, straight to the point. I was about to board my ship when a messenger came to me with a letter from the Tsaritsa. In it, she ordered me to stay here and train the new recruits that have been stationed here in Liyue. Anyway, thanks for keeping up my fake persona in front of my little brother.", Childe says.

"Yeah, whatever, Childe. But seriously, a toy seller?", Lyra deadpans. Childe laughs at her expression.

"Toy seller was something easy to come up with. I travel a lot, so I usually bring some souvenirs with me, mostly toys, since all of my siblings are younger than I. Also, I noticed you refused to call me by my code name in front of my brother as well."

"did you want me to out your code name? The moment I connected the dots between you and little Teucer, I immediately realised you didn't want them to be aware of your actual role as a harbinger for the Tsaritsa."

"of course I don't want them to be caught up in the mess that is the fatui.", Childe shrugs. Lyra sighs.

"I am aware. You wouldn't have come up with that fake job of yours if you didn't want them caught up with the fatui. Anyway, you are probably busy with those new recruits. What will you do with your brother here?"

"ah... right... since you are here... could I ask you a favour? Could you please spend some time with him for today and take care of him for me?", Childe asks of her.

"Hmm... a favour... from a fatui harbinger... what would you give me back for fulfilling this favour?", Lyra inquires.

"Well~ as a harbinger, I am able to get information quite easily. So, any kind of information you need, I can gather it for you!", he promises.

'Hm... as a harbinger, he would definitely be able to get sensitive information... but... what kind of information do I need? He would definitely not tell me anything related to the bigger plans of the fatui. Though I have found myself trying to research more and more about Irminsul these past few lives... it holds the memories of all that live in Teyvat, so it definitely has been something I wish to figure out about... but I doubt that he knows anything about that nor do I think will he find anything out about that... seems like I have nothing right now... but there is one thing that I had wanted to do with him. Something to pay him back for releasing Osail back onto Liyue.'

"How about something else, yes? I don't need any of your information. Instead, I simply ask of you to accompany me on a small trip here around Liyue.", Lyra says.

"A... trip? Hm... that sounds like nothing, but if that is what you want, sure.", Childe shrugs.

"Then it is settled: you will spend time with my brother for today while I go train the new recruit and get Teucer a way back home. Tomorrow, I will accompany you on this small trip of yours as pay back for watching over my brother."

"great. We have come to a mutual agreement.", Lyra sighs. She turns around, ready to go downstairs again, but stops. Lyra makes a few pieces of paper appear, holding them over her shoulder.

"If you want to keep up this act with your brother, these blueprints should help.", she says as Childe takes them.

With that, she heads downstairs to the small ginger child.

~•~•~

"Hey there Teucer!", Lyra says, cheerily, as she approaches the small ginger child.

"Hm? Oh, miss Lyra!" Teucer stands up from the floor he was sitting on and turns to Lyra. Lyra looks down to his hand, seeing that he is holding a small ruin guard plushie.

"So? Where is my brother?", Teucer asks Lyra, looking around.

"Oh, he stayed upstairs. After all, we only discussed what the new toys would be. Now he has to prepare to make them. Since he will be busy for now, he asked me to stay with you.", Lyra explains to the young boy.

"Really?! Can you show me your day as a traveller?", he asks with hopeful eyes.

"Hmm... I suppose I can. I haven't been able to do any commissions for the adventurers guild lately and I have really been meaning to go some for them again anyway. Come follow me.", Lyra shrugs, heading to the door.

Teucer jumps in victory and follows Lyra quickly.

"Do you think I could become a traveller like you?", Teucer asks.

"Hm, I am sure anyone who had a passion for finding new things and travelling could become a traveller. Although, you have to be ready to defend yourself and others in a fight as there are wild animals, monsters and bad groups of people who want to hurt others out in the wild. So for now, I'd say, focus on finding yourself something to protect yourself with and learn how to fight. If you really want to become a traveller, the adventurer's guild allows children from a certain age to also join them. I believe it's at 12 or 13 years. But you should ask your parents if they are alright with that first and what they think of it before deciding on anything.", Lyra advises.

"Okay!", Teucer says, pumping one fist into the air while holding his plushie tightly with his other hand.

"Now then, let me show you the life of a traveller that works with the adventurers guild."

~•~•~