Chapter 36 - Guyun stone forest

~•~•~

The archaeological research group arrive at Guyun Stone forest, the place where Osail was sealed and fought against. "This place looks so ordinary... Can we really find anything valuable here?", Kliment asks.

"If you wish to find anything related to the fight against Osail and the archon war in general, this is the place to go here in Liyue. Legend has it that Rex lapis threw spears made of large rock into the sea here, piercing and crushing the overlord of the vortex, sealing down below. After many years of erosion, those stone spears have turned into the unique rock formations we see now.", Lyra explains.

"So the mountains were the power of the geo archon?", Kliment asks.

"What we see now is just the part of them that remains. The stone spears hurled by Rex lapis all those years ago were much greater, both in number and in size.", Zhongli clarifies. "But due to the different angles they landed at, their large centres of mass, erosion by seawater, and years of gravity, many of them have been completely swallowed by the sea." He continues.

"So, besides wind erosion, the initial collapsing of the stone spears also played a big part in the formation of Guyun stone forest.", Lyra concludes. "Well... a god able to fight one so powerful that Rex lapis was certainly very strong in its own right...", Kliment comments.

"Indeed, this is where the value lies in research at Guyun stone forest. Most of the objects from that time were lost to the sea, but the gigantic waves created by the overlord of the vortex have given those sunken objects a chance to see the light of day again.", Zhongli states.

"So you're saying that if we look carefully, we'll be able to get very, very rich-", Kliment starts, but stops himself as he sees Lyra's glare.

"Uh, I mean – rich with archaeological knowledge and historical value, yes? That's all I seek in life.", he quickly says, turning Lyra's glare into a deadpan.

"Well, since we brought so many people, I think it would be best to split up and look.", he suggests.

"Okay then, I will go with Zhongli. Although both of us have a smattering knowledge in various disciplines, when it comes to archaeology we can't compete with the expert here. Besides, we already told you we work best together.", Lyra says.

"Huh? Me?", Wanyan stutters out.

"What's the matter? This is your profession. Why are you so surprised?", Kliment questions.

"I get it... I'll escort him, then.", Wanyan sighs.

"Okay. If we find anything valuable or rare, let's meet on the shore opposite from here.", Zhongli states. With that, the archaeologist and the fatuus leave the two others behind.

"You know... you still owe me a story about Havria, right, Morax?", Lyra says. Zhongli sighs.

"Yes, yes... however, I believe it is best if we seek the answers ourselves", he answers. "Which roughly translates to: while I wish to tell you, but it's best if you find the answers to this yourself.", Lyra says, rolling her eyes.

"Alright, alright... we should get to finding some lost artefacts now. The ancient god probably left behind lots of elemental marks. Following them should make our search much easier.", Zhongli says, getting back on track.

"Okay... I don't have elemental sight. And from what I remember, you don't either.", Lyra remarks.

"... that is correct." – "I suppose I can use golden quality to see if there is anything of worth around here...", Lyra mutters.

'I call upon Azure, the fourteenth.', she thinks to herself, closing her eyes. As she opens them again, Zhongli sees the familiar golden glow of Azure's ability.

"My, my... it has been quite a bit since I decided to walk around with my sight like this.", Lyra chuckles. "Ah, yes. You once told me that it changes your sight to a grey-scale and anything of worth shines either bronze or golden.", Zhongli states.

"Correct. Now come on. I see something shining over there. It's shaped like a chest.", Lyra says, walking ahead. Zhongli merely follows.

Just as Lyra said, they see a chest surrounded by a few monsters. Lyra gathers them together with anemo as Zhongli hits them with a stone pillar. After the monsters were defeated, Lyra opens the chest, only to find a used training dummy.

"Ugh... useless.", Lyra mutters, continuing with their walk. "Hm?", Lyra hums, looking at a group of monsters.

"Those hydro mimics... they are surrounding something of worth...", she says. "Oh? What kind of quality?", Zhongli asks.

"It is... golden. How curious...", Lyra says, her eyes shining.

"I will freeze them into place, while you hit them with one of your meteorites.", she orders.

Zhongli chuckles. "Going back into your commander and mentor persona.", he mutters, but does as she says. The mimics disperse in a second. "There. All done.", Lyra says as she kneels to search the ground.

"Here. It's a stone tablet!", she says, holding it up to Zhongli. "This should be enough to garner some information. Let's head back.", Zhongli says as he takes the stone tablet from her hands.

~•~•~