Chapter 43 - ginger brothers

~•~•~

The duo arrives at Guyun stone forest and walk around in silence for a while. They enjoy the scenery and look out onto the wide ocean. Then, Lyra speaks up.

"This is the place many gods of old have been sealed away. The time of the gods is over, as we have already established. So... tell me, why is it you brought the salt chalice and ruler with you?", she asks.

"As you said, the time of gods is long over, and Havria's time had been even further in the past. As such the salt chalice and ruler should not return to Liyue.", Zhongli explains.

"So... what are you going to do?", Lyra inquires.

"I... have been thinking. History changes over time and time cannot preserve that which happened in the past. But you... you didn't only live through said history yourself, but you also remember it, each and every single detail of it. Perhaps you could also share it to your travelling companion of yours. Aether seems like he would be able to remember such things with ease.", Zhongli tells her.

"I... I see. Well, I had already thought of keeping up the truth of history myself anyway, so you needn't worry about that. But, what about the salt chalice and ruler?"

"we are going to consign both the salt chalice and ruler to the sea. History is what it is, history, stories of the past. And all stories come to an end eventually. The same goes for each and everyone of us. So, be with me as we close the story of Havria once and for all."

The two of them start going up one of the tall stone structures of Guyun stone forest. Lyra sits down onto the stone while Zhongli stays upright, looking over the sea where the fight against Osail had once been.

"Thousands of years ago, the adepti and I fought against the turmoil that plagued every corner of this land. Guyun stone forest, where I sealed many gods with my spears...", Zhongli starts to monologue.

"After so long, naught but folktales remain. Osail... you and I were foes... but our ancient grudge is but a bygone memory now. May that which Havria has left behind be yours to subsume. Thus another spark of divinity departs from Liyue. My legacy shall now be left for those who come after to debate."

Zhongli uses his powers to throw the relics of the god of salt into the ocean depths.

"May the gods of the past be remembered within tales of old and in the memory of those in the know.", Lyra clasps her hands together, praying to the stars above.

Zhongli sits down beside Lyra and they continue to enjoy the sight of the sea in front of them.

~•~•~

A new day starts and Lyra can be seen walking through the streets of Liyue harbour, stopping at times to look at the shops and their wares.

Suddenly, something small runs into her legs. Looking down, her eyes fall upon a little ginger boy who had fallen to the ground due to the impact. Immediately, Lyra kneels down, helping the child up.

"Are you alright, little one?", she asks, concerned.

"Yeah... sorry, I should've looked where I was going.", the ginger apologises.

"What were you doing, little one?", Lyra asks.

"I was looking for my big brother, Ajax!", the ginger tells her happily.

"Oh? And what is your name?"

"my name is Teucer! What is yours, miss?"

"my name is Lyra. I am an adventurer from Fontaine."

"really? I came here to visit my brother all the way from Shneznaya! He is a toy seller here!"

Lyra pauses. She wasn't aware of any Shneznayan toy sellers here in Liyue, however she did know a certain Shneznayan ginger who would fit the bill. Now that she looked closer at Teucer, she notices similarities between him and that ginger.

'Ah, right... the harbingers go by code names and fake names. Tartaglia should be his fake name as he said his code name is Childe. So his real name is Ajax... interesting.'

Lyra shakes her head to get out of her thoughts. Right now, she had a child to worry about.

"Hm... I believe I know who you are talking about. He usually is at Northland bank when he is here. Come, I will take you there.", Lyra offers.

"Really? Thank you, miss Lyra!", Teucer says as he smiles brightly.

'That truly is a smile worth cherishing... such innocence... it contrasts the empty eyes of your brother.'

~•~•~

Lyra leads Teucer up to Northland bank while keeping him busy with a few tales from her adventures.

"Wow! That must have been soo cool! Fighting against dragons! Can you tell me a bit about Fontaine?", Teucer asks. Lyra pauses, reluctant to talk about her home.

"Well... Fontaine is... interesting to say the least. Perhaps you heard, but in Fontaine there is a grand court which is in control of the nation and it's laws. As the nation of justice, this grand court is always spectated by Folcalors herself, our Archon. It is believed that she loves watching the trials, however, she rarely interferes. But more onto Fontaine another time.", Lyra explains.

"We are here. This is Northland bank."

Lyra opens the door and lets Teucer in first. The ginger boy smiles at her and runs in, quickly spotting his brother.

"Ajax!", he exclaims. The familiar older ginger turns around surprised.

"Teucer, what are you doing here?", Childe asks the small child, kneeling down to his height.

"I wanted to visit you.", Teucer confesses.

Childe sighs. "How did you even manage to get here...", he mumbles.

"Hello to you too, 'Ajax'.", Lyra greets him, rolling her eyes.

"Oh, Lyra! I suppose you brought him here? You have my thanks. I don't know what I would've done if he had gotten lost.", Childe thanks her as he stands up again.

"What I wonder is... why did y–", Lyra stops, looking back at Teucer.

"Why... didn't you tell me you were a toy seller?", she asks instead.

"Ah... well, I didn't think that would be very interesting, considering I was financing your... 'celebration'.", Childe answers, getting the gist.

Then he looks back at his little brother. "Hey Teucer. Do you want to look around for a while, while Lyra and I discuss some matters?", he asks his brother.

"What kind of matters?", Teucer inquires.

"Your brother and I just need to talk about some new toy ideas for children to give them a better awareness what travellers and adventurers do. And I am certain you don't want to spoil the toys for yourself.", Lyra explains.

"Okay! But I want some of those toys for myself!", Teucer declares. Lyra laughs.

"Alright, little boss. Come on now... Ajax. Let's go upstairs.", she says.

Childe nods, grateful that she played along to his false identity in front of his little brother.

~•~•~