Chapter 3

Leafy stared at the man infront of her, the man who she had loved but who died four years prior.

"What's happening?" she questioned as her eyes welled up.

"You're dead, you aren't supposed to be here, I watched them bury you," she said as her voice shook.

"It's a really long story" the flame haired man said.

Leafy stared in shock, her thoughts racing to figure out how he could possibly be here.

This had to be some horrible person's sick idea of a joke.

"WHO DO YOU THINK YOU ARE? HOW DARE YOU IMPERSONATE HIM?" she yelled as she lifted the bat up to attack him.

"JESUS CHRIST, LEAFY CALM DOWN," he screamed as he blocked the bat from concussing him.

"Why are you doing this to me? Why are you pretending to be him?" she said as she finally gave up and dropped the bat on the ground, all of the emotions finally taking over.

She sank to the floor, unable to look at the person in front of her as her quiet sobs filled the silence.

They both stayed silent for a while, neither wanting to initiate anything.

Until Firey decided to speak.

"Leafy, I know you can't believe it, but it is actually me," he said calmly.

Leafy still refused to look up.

"Please look at me Leafy, please believe that I'm alive, that this isn't a joke," he begged.

Leafy finally looked up and for the first time in years she gazed into the eyes of the only person she had ever loved.

"But how? You're dead," she insisted.

"There's a lot that needs to be said but... I can't yet. I need to make sure of a few things first," he sighed.

"This has to be a dream," Leafy muttered. "If you weren't dead where have you been the past four years?"

"I still can't tell you all the details but as soon as I can I will," Firey reassured.

"Why are you back? How can you leave for so long and just come back like this?"

"Are you not happy that I'm back?" he asked somewhat hurt.

"I'm happy that you're back but I just don't understand how you think you can just waltz back into my life after being gone for so long," she shook her head.

"I didn't really know where to go and you're the only person I wanted to see," he smiled at her.

"You put me through absolute hell,it's not fair, this isn't fair Firey. I need it to stop," Leafy pleaded as she wiped her eyes.

"Leafy, I didn't want to do what I did but there are people out there who forced me to do it, I'm sorry I really am," he looked at her concernedly.

"Sorry doesn't make everything better, Firey. When you died I was so alone and in so much pain," she glared back at him, her vision blurry with tears.

"Leafy, I-I'm sorry..." he trailed off.

"Look, I'm too tired to deal with this right now. In the morning, we are going to talk about this and figure out what happens from here," she sighed, exasperated.

"Okay," he nodded.

Leafy grew tense as she stared at him and folded her arms.

"You can sleep on the couch,"

"Fair enough,"

Leafy walked past, glancing at him she walked by, meeting his eyes and seeing all those hues of orange, red and yellow made her heart ache.

She made her way upstairs and locked her bedroom door behind her as she slid against the door.

What in the name of God was she doing? The man who she has been missing for years is in her living room and she's up here, locking him out.

Of course, she had thought about Firey coming back from the dead before but it was nothing like this, it was always just a fantasy, never something that she believed would come true

She had imagined waking up and him being beside her and she would hold him and kiss him and never let him go again.

She had imagined warmth and joy when she thought about him coming back but in reality it was just cold and awkward.

What was she going to do? She wanted him to stay but if he stays then he would have to see Grove...

Leafy was not ready to deal with that "situation" right now.

Its very clear that Grove is her son so she can't lie about it either. 

But if he stayed, he'd be in her life once again and she would find comfort in him once more and his smile would make her melt.

Why was she so mad at him?

Does she even have a right to be mad?

...

Of course she does, even though he was "dead" he left her to deal with everything he left behind without any warning or anything when he clearly knew this was coming.

He left her and he knew she would suffer.

No, he didn't want to leave he said that himself and deep down she knew he didn't do it just to hurt her.

One thing she knew for certain was that she still loved him, even after all this time he's the only one for her.

She knows this all too well,she knew deep down she wasn't going to make him leave.

But if she was going to let him stay she needed to lay down ground rules.

She wasn't going to let him get close right away, in case he leaves again. Maybe if she kept him out it will hurt less.

If he shows that he's going to stay she'll let him in but for now it's the couch.

And she definitely wasn't going to let him get close to Grove. He doesn't need to deal with any of Firey's issues. Grove was the most important thing in her left and not even Firey would come between that.

Sighing deeply, she pushed herself off the floor and put on her pajamas to  settle into her bed.

So much had happened all at once, it was too much for her to take in.

Firey was alive.

She kept repeating it in her head, over and over because it didn't feel real, people didn't just come back from the dead.

But then again from what she's gathered he wasn't even dead to begin with, for some unknown reason he had to leave in such an extravagant way.

Firey had said he needed to "make sure of some things first" but what could possibly have caused this?

He worked as a detective for the police force, he worked on the more sinister cases but as far as Leafy was aware that was all it was.

Leafy knew there were things about Firey's life that he kept secret, things about his job that she never knew. She didn't like this of course but she had enough respect and trust in him to not go snooping, respect and trust that were somehow still there.

There was so much more to this than she knew.

Was he involved in a scandal? What if he wasn't completely out of danger? Could she be endangering Grove just by letting Firey live with them?

Leafy decided if she sensed even the slightest but of harm coming, Firey would be out of her home in a heartbeat.

She still loved Firey, a lot. But there was no way she was going to let his stupid secrets hurt her son.

She tossed and turned, trying to get comfortable but she just couldn't do it.

In the end she decided to just lay there in silence, thinking about the man down stairs.
=============================

Things are getting deeper now...

Hope you enjoyed this chapter, I'm having so much fun with this story!
XOXO
LeafCake