Chapter 23

Firey was alive, he was breathing, he could feel his muscles working and he could hold things around him.

He was alive, flesh and bone.

But it didn't feel like it.

Two weeks had passed since he killed Loser and it was always in his thoughts.

It felt like he was sleepwalking through his day, he was interacting with people and he tried to do things normally but it just felt like he wasn't there.

He spaced out quite a bit, he wasn't even thinking deeply or reflecting, he just mentally wasn't there, always with a far-away look in his eyes.

Leafy, being the person she is, noticed this.

At first she thought he might just be a bit down, trying to get used to life and such but after a while she thought it was lasting a bit too long.

He wasn't really eating as much, he kind of just picked at his food, taking slow, sporadic bites.

He seemed... dull, he didn't smile as much and when he did it seemed void of real emotion.

She noticed that the only time he seemed to smile properly was at her or Grove.

She did think it was sweet that her kisses and Grove's silly games could make him happy but she wanted him to be alright, she didn't like seeing him staring at nothing.

Firey needed something to do, she was at work and couldn't keep him company, being alone wouldn't be healthy for him with his current state.

He denies that anything is wrong but she knows.

She asked him about it a few days after it started, he told her he just felt a bit sick and she believed him.

Then she asked him again and he said he felt fine and that she shouldn't worry about it.

That was the response she usually gets from him but she knows it isn't true.

When she's with him, she makes sure to let him know that things are okay, she'll hold his hand, lean against him when they sit together and snuggle against him when they're in bed, kissing him when he goes to sleep and once more when he wakes up.

But she has no idea what he's like when he's alone, if all he does is sit there or mindlessly clean or make dinner, it's not good for him.

He needs to take his mind off things and she thought of a way to do it.

"Hey Firey, can you do me a little favour?" she asked one morning.

"Sure, what is it?" he replied.

"Can you pick Grove up from school? His usual minder is sick," she explained.

"Of course, I'd be happy to," he said.

And so for the next week, Firey would wait outside the school gates for Grove to come out of school.

Grove would always run to Firey and hug him, Firey returned the gesture but always wondered why Grove was such an affectionate child, it was probably because of Leafy, she was always giving him hugs or just holding him close whenever she could.

Firey usually took Grove through a park and would let him play in a small playground for a few minutes before taking him home.

Grove was always so energetic and happy, he babbled on about random things and always marvelled at bugs and animals he saw.

Firey would watch him play in the playground, not just to keep an eye on him but because he just liked seeing genuine happiness and emotions that were actually real and weren't faked.