Chapter 18

TW FOR DARK THOUGHTS (ending of life thoughts) and description of death
================================

A green haired woman sat in her apartment, holding a tiny baby in her arms.

She was rather young to have a child but it felt like a blessing to her.

Life and death, death and life.

After the loss of her husband she had gained a new life to live for, something that gave her a reason not to hide away from her life.

She gazed fondly at the sleeping baby in her arms, the person she loved most in this world and the person she would do anything to protect.

To her, he was a gorgeous baby, his fluffy hair was a similar colour to hers just just slightly more orangey, his eyes were a beautiful shade of green with flecks of yellow and orange in them and he had the cutest nose and his skin was so soft.

She adored him, her little ray of light when her world had become dark, she'd give him the world if she could.

However, a small part of her was glad he looked like her and not like his dad.

She wondered if he would grow to look more like him or if he would keep her features, she hoped he would have a bit of them both.

The baby stuck his tongue out, rubbing his little gloved hands against his face as he yawned and his legs kicked as he stretched while his eyes opened and he looked up to his mother.

She laughed softly at his squishiness and placed a hand on his cheek.

"Are you waking up now, darling?" she smiled lovingly.

Almost like a response, he put his hand against hers, trying to hold onto it despite his gloves.

His eyes were fixed on the woman holding him, like he was transfixed with her.

Leafy had no idea she could love something so much after everything that happened, this baby had her heart and he had only been out in the world for three months.

She carefully picked him up, supporting his neck as she lifted him so their eyes were on the same level and she stood up and walked with him over to a photo on the wall.

She held him in front of it and his hand that didn't cling to the woman reached out to touch the photo, unfortunately, he was just out of reach.

"Do you know who that is?" she asked him, obviously not getting a response but she enjoyed talking to him.

"It's mama, do you know who the other person is?"

The baby blew a raspberry and sighed.

"That's your papa and mama loves him very much,"

"He was a good person and he made mama feel very special and very loved and mama misses him very much,"

Her eyes began to water as she looked at the photo.

It was their wedding, both of them barely twenty years old but beyond happy in their choice.

They weren't even looking at the camera, they were only looking at each other with an unfathomable amount of love that was so obvious to anyone who saw them.

She let herself cry a bit as she recalled how lovely that day had been, it wasn't a big wedding but it was perfect for them.

It still didn't feel real that he wasn't here anymore, he wasn't just out at work, he would never come home again, she'd never see him or hold him and it broke her heart.

Blinking back her tears, she told the child more about his father, how silly he could be, how loving he was and how much he meant to her.

"He probably would have been a good dad, I'm sorry you never got the chance to meet him," she sighed sadly.