Chapter 6

"Firey, this is Grove,"

"Hey," the flame haired man said awkwardly.

"Hi," Grove responded quietly.

...

The atmosphere was very awkward with no one saying anything for a few minutes before Leafy decided she couldn't deal with it.

"Yep, Grove here is my little knight, he protects me from all the bad guys," she announced as she pulled Grove close.

"Doubt any bad guys will come near you two now that I'm here," Firey smiled.

"But, you look kinda scary," Grove said suspiciously to which Firey gave a confused look.

"Hah, Grove you're always so silly," Leafy laughed awkwardly.

"I'm gonna go play with my toys that definitely are not dinosaurs," Grove called as he ran to his room but not before sneakily sticking his tongue out at Firey.

"He's cute, I can see the resemblance," Firey noted.

"Yeah, and you'll need to get used to living with him so no violent stuff on TV, no cursing and it's quiet after eight o'clock," Leafy insisted in an authoritive tone.

"Damn, okay," Firey said, holding back a laugh.

"Don't laugh at me! I'm trying to raise that kid right," she snapped.

"Sorry, you just sound like a mom I never thought I'd hear you talk like that," he chuckled.

"There's a lot of things happening that I never thought would happen," Leafy said shortly.

Firey shut up after that and Leafy walked past him to make some lunch for Grove.

After a while, Firey put on his jacket and headed to the door.

"I'm going out, I'll be back soonish" he called as he left.

The door had closed before Leafy could say goodbye and she felt a pang of guilt.

Grove came down the stairs and walked over to Leafy.

"Mama, are you okay?" he asked as he hugged her.

"Yes, Mama just has to deal with some big-girl feelings,"

...

Firey walked down the street, thinking of Leafy and the little boy who clung to her leg.

It was definitely Leafy's kid, he had the green hair, her complexion and his eyebrows knitted together the same way hers did.

But who in the name of God was the dad?

Grove didn't have Leafy's eyes just little flecks of green and his hair had hints of yellow or orange with a dusting of freckles on his nose and cheeks, he was a top class detective why couldn't he find any clues?

Whoever the father was he clearly wasn't that involved with Leafy or Grove, there were no photos or anything to indicate he lived with them.

Maybe it was from a one-night stand and that's why Leafy was a bit defensive about saying who the dad was.

He wasn't upset that Leafy had been with someone else, he had accepted that given he didn't know how long he'd be gone for, it was very likely but he still wanted to know who the bastard was.

While being lost in thought, Firey almost didn't notice the second pair of footfalls he heard from beside him.

"You're late," the mysterious person said.

"Sorry, got held up," Firey responded.

"How are things?"

"Leafy's a bit cold but I expected that, she had a kid too,"