Chapter 16

Leafy was stressed, work was piling up, Grove was running around like a madman and there was just too much to do.

She sat at her table with a large mug of coffee, praying that today would be even slightly easy.

Grove was running around the apartment, frantically trying to find his sketchbook and causing chaos that was too much for 7am.

He ran around the corner, bumping into Firey who walked out of the bathroom, not at all startled by the small child who just ran into him and he picked him up, stopping him in his tracks.

"Hey, what are you doing?" Firey laughed.

"Getting ready," Grove said, kicking his legs in the air.

Firey carried Grove into the living room with him slumped over one shoulder like a big sack.

"Morning, Leafs!" Firey greeted.

Leafy glared at Firey, too tired to play along.

"Firey, put my kid down before you break him," she said as she pinched the bridge of her nose.

"Aww, no!" Grove complained as his feet touched the ground.

Firey walked over to Leafy, giving her a quick kiss on her head before getting himself a coffee.

"You alright Leafy? You seem uh, not in the best of moods," Firey chose his words carefully.

"No, I'm clearly not fine! I have meeting today after work, a crapton of paperwork to do when it's over and Grove's school keeps emailing me about things that don't need to be emailed," she complained, laying her face on the table.

"Oh, sounds like a fun time, anyway I can help?" Firey asked.

Leafy raised her head, looking at him thoughtfully and figured she could use the extra help.

"Yeah actually, do you think you could pick Grove up from school today and just look after him and make some dinner?" she asked.

"Of course, no worries, I'm on it!" Firey agreed happily, giving her a thumbs up.

Leafy smiled fondly at him as he told Grove he was going to pick him up today and they high fived.

Soon, she gathered her things and left the apartment with Grove as Firey waved goodbye to them from the balcony.

Firey stood alone in the apartment, trying to figure out where he should start. He figured he should put things away, dust then polish and clean things.

He took out the vaccume cleaner and duster and set to work, making sure to do a thorough job and humming songs to himself.

Once that job was done, he took out the polish and set about polishing the shelves and other surfaces.

He crouched down to go over the DVD case and had a moment of realisation.

Leafy was out at work and here he was... cleaning.

Oh my god, he was a house husband.

He had always said he would never become one of those, he wanted to be out doing things.

But now he was here, kneeling on the floor with a tea-towel wrapped around his waist, he found that he was, well he was enjoying it.

It felt strangely relaxing not having something major looming over him, he liked the simplicity of it all and how reassuringly safe it felt.

He wasn't doing anything he didn't want to do, he was just making his and hopefully Leafy's life a little bit easier.

He continued to clean with full effort and it was around eleven thirty when he got a call from Leafy.