Chapter 11

The one thing Leafy didn't like about having a kid, was birthday parties.

Although she enjoyed talking to people she hated the parents in Grove's class and she hated making "small talk".

It always felt like the others judged her because they had never seen Grove's father, like they had some strange hatred for her because she was a "single mother"

She always felt uncomfortable, she was a lot younger than all the other parents and whenever the other father's spoke to her it always felt like they were leering at her.

Maybe that's why the mothers hated her...

Regardless, she attended them for Grove's sake, he was friends with kids and unfortunately for her Grove was very popular.

She groaned tiredly as the mother of the child's party Grove was going to texted her, reminding her once more to bring some extra sweets for the goodie bags.

"Do your own damn party prep next time bitch," she growled.

"What's up?" Firey asked from the living room.

"Just this mom asking to me to bring stuff to her kids party," she sighed.

"Weird, why isn't she doing it herself?" Firey asked confusedly.

"No idea, it doesn't even make sense these guys are rich," Leafy scoffed as she rolled her eyes.

Leafy told him about how she got no respect from the parents and how she was getting sick of being treated as lower than them, yet they didn't even know her.

"Well that sucks, why do you even go then?"

"I do it for Grove, I can't let my silly annoyances get in the way of his social life, I really hate them though ,"

"What if I went with you? Having someone there who you can talk to might help,"

Leafy thought for a moment as a smirk gradually formed on her face.

"Actually you should come, it might cause a bit of a stir if I showed up with a handsome guy, they'll flip once they find out we're married," she laughed.

"Oh, I'm handsome am I?" Firey grinned.

"Ah, hush up. Don't get big headed," she scolded jokingly.

"Hey, you said it not me," Firey said putting his hands up in mock defense.

And so a few hours later, Leafy, Firey and Grove pulled up in front of a house decorated for a child's party.

Grove hopped out of the car immediately, with Leafy and Firey walking behind.

After Grove knocked on the door, a small boy answered with a snooty looking middle-aged woman behind him, wearing far too much make-up for a kids birthday party.

"That's Rose, she's an absolute snot-faced bitch," Leafy hissed under her breath.

"Hello there Leafy, so glad you could make it!" Rose smiled as she shook her hand.

"It's so nice to be here! Thank you so much for inviting Grove," Leafy replied sweetly.

Firey couldn't comprehend how quickly Leafy could change her behaviour to match social situations, it was like a strange power she had that he would never master.

"And who is this," Rose asked, gesturing to Firey.

Leafy noticed how Rose stood up straight, puffed her chest slightly and fixed her hair while looking Firey up and down and she felt a sick sense of satisfaction and pride.