Chapter 25

Over the next week or so, Leafy wanted to make sure Firey was ready to hear the secret she had been keeping and so she decided to "test him".

She had him look after Grove, pick him up from school, make him food, tidy things up, play with him and lots of other similar tasks, all of which he did without much complaint.

She would tell him in the next few days, it would all work out.

...

Firey was a bit confused as to why Leafy had him doing all of these things all of a sudden but he didn't ask, he assumed she was stressed from work and he wanted to make her life easier so he just dealt with it.

He didn't mind looking after Grove, they were buddies and he was a pretty well-behaved kid so it wasn't too bad.

He wondered what Grove thought of him, did he see him as a role model or did he just see him as one of Leafy's friends who just so happened to live with them, either way Grove liked him so it didn't really matter all that much.

It was a late Saturday afternoon and Grove had been cooped up inside all day due to rain but when the sun came out he became antsy and kept asking if they could go to the park and play.

Leafy asked Firey to take him while she did some work for her job, Firey agreed though he hid his reluctancy.

Grove eagerly got ready and in a few minutes he stood by the door, jumping up and down in excitement with his welly boots on.

He held Firey's hand as they left and Leafy said goodbye to them.

Deep down, she was looking forward to telling him, she could tell he liked Grove and he'd probably love to call him his son.

She smiled to herself as she sat down to work.

She had a weird feeling that something was wrong but she ignored it, as much as she wanted to tell Firey, she was definitely nervous about it and that was probably all it was.

...

Grove played on the slide with another child who was similar in age to him and Firey watched him to make sure he didn't hurt himself on the slippery equipment.

After a while Grove came running over to Firey, asking him if he could take his hat off, Firey said he could and took it so it didn't get lost.

Grove gave him a quick hug and went off to play again, Firey smiled at him fondly.

"I'm so sorry but I just wanted to say you have such a gorgeous kid," he heard a voice say.

He looked to he left to see a woman who seemed to be in her mid-thirties, sitting at the bench beside him.

"Oh, I'm the mother of the child he's playing with," she added.

"Ah, he's uh, he's not mine," Firey said with a shrug.

"Huh, I'm terribly sorry, you were getting along so well and he looks rather similar to you, I just assumed he was," she replied, clearly embarrassed.

"What? You think he looks like me?" Firey asked, bewildered.

"Oh yes, especially with the eyes and the freckles and from what I can see he has a similar grin to yours and you both just seem to understand each other," she explained.

"Oh... okay," Firey said with no emotions.

"Again, I'm sorry for assuming, I just wanted to make some conversation, I hope I haven't made you uncomfortable," she apologised.

"It's fine," Firey replied.

The woman was still very embarrassed and she soon told her child they were going to leave.