Chapter 35

Beep, beep.

Beep, beep.

Leafy opened her eyes ever so slightly but closed them straight away when they met an overly bright light.

Her body felt stiff and sweaty and she felt extremely uncomfortable, she hated laying flat on her back, she needed to move.

Very carefully and slowly, she opened her eyes little by little and allowed them to adjust to the harsh brightness around her and she realize that there wasn't a bright light looming over her, she was instead in a very white room.

A lot like a hospital...

The memories hit her suddenly, catching her off guard and causing her breath to catch in her throat.

Two's horrible smile, being tied to a pole, the agonizing pain before Firey burst through that door.

It all went blurry from there, her last clear memory was of a horrific pain in her torso as everything went dark.

She was pretty sure she had been shot or at least had something impaled into her and she had blacked out not long after.

She was certain she was going to bleed out in Firey's arms, gazing up at him and taking in his face one last time.

She had never seen him cry like that before.

Where was he now? Did he make it out alright or did something happen?

She needed to know if he was okay, now that she was awake her main priorities were Firey and Grove.

She wasn't sure how long she had been here but she had been bandaged up but she felt...stale.

She attempted to push herself up but winced at the sharp pain she felt in her stomach and lay back on the bed trying to calm herself.

"It's probably not the best idea to get up so suddenly," a voice said.

She knew that voice, it was a kind voice but she never thought she would hear it in person again.

Turning her head in the direction the voice came from, a small gasp escaped from her mouth before a smile formed on her lips.

"It's been a while," she joked.

"Yeah, too long, I'm sorry," Tree responded.

She looked around quickly and it occurred to her that she was in a very unflattering pair of hospital pajamas and her hair hadn't been washed properly in a long time, she probably looked like a mess.

"I'm sorry you have to see me like this," she said in an apologetic tone.

"Don't be sorry, you've been through a lot lately, trying to look good shouldn't be your main goal right now," Tree shrugged.

"How bad is it?" She asked.

"Do you remember that time when you fell into the thorn bush and rolled into a mud puddle when we were kids?" Tree wondered.

"Yes,"

"Like that but about five times worse,"

"Ah, crap"

Leafy sat up against the metal headboard, placing a pillow behind her to add comfort and asked Tree to hand her the hair tie that was on his wrist.

"That looks better," Tree nodded after Leafy tied her hair back into a cute ponytail with two strands hanging down from her fringe.

From there on Leafy and Tree had a pleasant, casual conversation, talking about awkward family dinners that went wrong, the silly games they used to play together and anything else that came to mind, it was just so nice and simple and Leafy loved it.