Chapter 31

Firey was living out his "final days".

Final days, huh?

It was such a funny thought to him that this was where his life took him and the idea that it would all end in such a short amount of time.

Hell, Four had even started being a lot nicer and wouldn't shut up about all the good work Firey had done.

He wished that he could say he did something meaningful with the time he had left but unfortunately, that would be a lie.

The truth was he spent most of his time finalising the plan or drinking.

He would have smoked but Four had taken away his pack and he hasn't gone anywhere except for the flowerbeds in Four's back garden when he helped Four tend to them.

And so, Firey was sat on a chair in the back-garden with a bottle of a weird beer he had never heard of, letting the warmth of the sunset caress his tanned face.

It was beautiful really, all of those brilliant hues combining to paint the sky like a breath taking acrylic masterpiece that you would just want to burn into your memory.

How many more of these did he have left?

He remembered the first time he and Leafy went on an official date, one where they had actually told people they were together.

It was a warm, summer evening and they had gone to a small convince store and bought the coldest drinks they could find and they headed to the outskirts of the town, where the vast forests and fields were.

They sat near the edge of the forest, the sun making everything around them seem like it was bathed in a golden light and they sat side by side as they watched the gorgeous colours fade away into haunting blues and silvers as the moon took it's place in the sky.

They spoke about anything that came to mind, no matter how silly or strange it was and Firey was enchanted by how pretty Leafy looked.

He had probably looked silly when he smiled at her, when he was with her he felt like he was drunk on his love for her, sometimes he'd just hold her close with that same goofy smile on his face.

Her laugh was contagious and her smile was all he wanted to see, he wanted to make her happy and goddammit he wanted to kiss her.

Fortunately, Leafy stopped talking for a moment, her eyes lingering on him for a moment before she pulled him in, kissing him firmly on the lips.

The fireflies had emerged from their sleep and the sun was almost set but it's remnants mixed with the dark clouds of the night, it felt unreal.

Her lips were soft and her touch was gentle, she had worn a sweet tasting lip-gloss and the feeling of her hand on his cheek tickled.

When Firey thinks back on it, that was probably one his favourite memories aside from the day he married her.

...

Firey closed his eyes, feeling tired as he remembered those dream-like moments and he felt like falling asleep, with a small smile on his face.

But life has decided it hates Firey and that he shouldn't be happy at any moment in time.

He was taken from his thoughts when he heard telling coming from the house, he swore under his breath as he went inside to see what the hell was going on.

The voice that was yelling sounded familiar, he really didn't want to deal with them right now.

Firey stood in the doorway of the kitchen, leaning against the wall as he watched the scene in front of him.