Chapter 7

Leafy's alarm rudely woke her and she forced herself out of bed and into her work clothes.

She needed to get Grove up and ready for preschool and ensure he had a lunch ready.

She walked across to Grove's room and gently woke him. He crawled into her lap and nuzzled into her as he yawned and let his eyes adjust to the light.

"Good morning Grovey, you're like a little fluff-ball," she laughed as she neatened his hair.

"Good morning mama," he said tiredly.

"Come on, let's get you dressed," she smiled.

Once Grove was dressed Leafy headed downstairs to get him some cereal and make him some lunch but when she turned the corner of the kitchen, Firey was washing things up.

"What did you do?" Leafy asked.

"Well, it's Monday so I figured you had work and I made you some breakfast," he replied, holding a plate with chopped fruit, yoghurt and French toast.

"Oh, thank you but I can't eat it, I have to make sure Grove gets his own breakfast and a lunch," she sighed.

"Taken care of," Firey smiled, slightly proudly.

Leafy walked over and saw a smaller plate with some cereal and chopped apples and strawberries with some water.

"And you made him lunch?" Leafy questioned bewilderedly.

"Yeah, just some sandwiches with salmon, some spare fruit and one of those yoghurt tube things," he said pointing at Grove's lunchbox.

"How did you know he liked salmon?," she asked with a suspicious tone.

"I think I woke him while I was making the French toast because he came downstairs to see what I was doing and so I asked him what he wanted on a sandwich ," he shrugged.

Leafy sat at the table and took a small bite of the beautifully presented plate in front of her and to her dismay, it was delicious.

She hated the fact that effort was put into it, she hated how he did it out of his own will, it just made it harder for her to keep her walls up.

Grove waddled in and he eagerly went over to Firey to get his lunchbox.

Leafy rested her head against her hand as she watched them high-five, Grove had clearly let go of the whole "Dino-Stealer" thing and Firey seemed happy that Grove wasn't shy.

Although it was a cute sight, she was going to be late if she didn't get a move on. She told Grove to eat his breakfast while she went to the bathroom to freshen up and put some makeup on.

A little while later, she was buttoning Grove's shirt up in the hall, slightly panicking as she always did.

Firey suddenly tapped her on the shoulder, holding out a small lunchbox and a water bottle.

"You never mentioned your own lunch so I made this," he said.

Leafy felt her heart clench as she tried to figure out what to say. The small but sweet smile on his face didn't help things at all.

"Thank you," she answered, much ruder than she had meant to then she placed it in her handbag.

"Have a good day," he said.

"You too," she nodded.

"I'll have a good day too!" Grove exclaimed excitedly.

Leafy sighed fondly as she smiled at Grove, saying goodbye to Firey before leaving for the car park.