Chapter 17

Leafy tossed and turned but she couldn't block out the howling wind or the heavy rain that bashed her windows.

She hated storms, especially at night. She didn't mind light rain during the day but storms were just too loud and got in the way of things, some people found them soothing but for her they were just annoying and she hated to admit it but rather scary.

CRASH.

Leafy jumped in fright as the loud sound caught her off guard and she winced as she realised she would now have to deal with thunder on top of everything else.

She buried her head in her pillow in an attempt to block it out but the storm was close and it was a fruitless effort.

She just wanted to sleep, she was so tired but her body just wouldn't let her, her head ached and she was cold, it was like some horrid presence above decided that she shouldn't be allowed to sleep peacefully.

Her eyes watered and she began to cry ever so slightly, not because she was sad but because she felt it was an appropriate time to be a little dramatic.

She sighed deeply as she gave up and curled into the fetal position, trying to ignore everything around her.

...

"Hey, you okay?"

Leafy turned to see Firey standing in the doorway, looking just as tired as her, wearing a red sports jersey and black basketball shorts, he had clearly been in bed himself.

"Yeah, I'm fine just trying to sleep," she said as she adjusted herself to an upright position.

"Is the thunder keeping you up?" he asked.

"Well yeah, but I can deal with it, it's all good," she shrugged.

"You still scared of it?" he smiled.

"Oh, you remember that," she said, slightly embarrassed.

"Of course I do, I didn't just forget everything while I was gone," he scoffed.

Firey walked in and sat at the foot of the bed, not going anywhere near Leafy.

"I remember, a week after our wedding there was a really bad thunderstorm and you just clung to me for the whole night," he laughed quietly.

"Oh, I forgot that," Leafy said sheepishly.

"Don't worry, what I'm trying to say is I'll do it again, I'll sit here and talk to you, to try distract you from it," he offered.

"Really, I think that might help actually," she said thoughtfully.

"I'll stay as long as you want me to, okay?"

"Thank you, Firey,"

For the next while, the two sat together talking about anything that came to mind, people, events, stupid stories, anything and everything and soon the storm began to ease up.

Leafy would hopefully be able to fall asleep now that the thunder was gone, Firey wished her goodnight and got up to leave.

But, she didn't want him to leave, he hadn't been in this room for almost five years and having him in it again felt nice, she wanted him to stay.

"Firey, wait," she called to him.

"Hm?" Firey stopped just outside the door, listening.

"I want you to sleep with me,"

She knew it came out wrong the moment she said it.

Extremely embarrassed, she smacked her hand over her mouth as she began to blush profusely.