Chapter 4

Firey watched Leafy walk up the stairs and winced as he heard the door slam.

That had gone about as well as he had expected. He had known Leafy wouldn't immediately welcome him with open arms but he hadn't expected the "attack"

Then again he had just seemingly appeared in her apartment out of no where.

He walked around a bit, taking it all in. 

He was back.

He had always planned to come back but things kept popping up that prevented him from getting to where he actually wanted to be. He had never even wanted to leave in the first place but those damn phone calls kept happening and in the end he had no choice.

Although he had always known that, after being gone for so long and leaving the way he did that Leafy wouldn't let things go back to the way they were but it still hurt him all the same.

His "death" had been harder on her than he had thought it would be. She wasn't pushing him away out of hatred but out of hurt and betrayal and that somehow felt worse.

Even with all of this weighing on him he couldn't hold back the smile that made it's way onto his face. Here he was, finally safe where he was always meant to be and Leafy was as gorgeous as ever.

The apartment hadn't changed much either. It was still sleek and modern, like something out of a magazine Leafy had clearly been looking after it.

As Firey walked silently around the place he started investigating everything. He knew he shouldn't but it was what he was good at and old habits die hard.

He hadn't been in the apartment very long before Leafy came back so he hadn't really taken it all in properly.

He stared at their wedding photo, Leafy smiling her signature smile gazing lovingly at Firey who smiled back at her.

While Firey had been... occupied l, the memories that day kept him going. The thought of Leafy walking down the aisle in her white dress and dancing with her at the reception was the only thing that kept him calm and gave him the urge to fight through everything.

He had never once stopped loving her. Everything he did, he did it with the thought of making it back to her alive.

He would tell her everything as soon as he got word that everything was over and it was safe to do so.

While lost in thought, his eyes trailed to a new photo, a photo that made his body freeze.

The photo had Leafy smiling adoringly at a small green haired baby who gazed in wonder at her in her arms.

Firey's breath hitched as his head began to spin.

Did Leafy have a kid while he was gone? Was she with someone else now?

He had been gone for over four years he had always had the fear that by the time he came back she would have found someone else but the idea of Leafy starting a family in the span of four years didn't seem at all like her.

Of course, he wanted Leafy to be happy and he didn't want her to linger on him and let his "death" hold her back but Leafy always said she wanted to wait a while to have a family.

Firey turned his head and saw a small corner of the living room had been made into a play area of sorts, littered with action figures, building blocks and children's books.

He turned back to the photo as it dawned on him that the photo was older than he thought.

She couldn't have been cheating right?

No, she wouldn't. Leafy despised cheaters of any kind and Firey was well aware of this.

Firey wracked his brain for any kind of reason that Leafy had a kid and who's it was until his head hurt.

Defeated, he sat went and lay down on the couch to get some sleep and decided he would ask Leafy about the child in the morning.

Now, don't get it wrong. If Leafy had completely moved on and had changed her mind on families and chose to have one with someone, Firey would be happy for her and whoever it was.

His main worry was that if Leafy had really made a family without him he didn't want to ruin it by being a homewrecker and if Leafy asked him to he would leave as soon as she asked.

It would hurt him to let her go but if it was the option that made her the happiest it was the option he would go with.

He loved her with all his heart.

And he always would.

He decided to stop poking around the apartment after he found a small blanket with race cars on it which he used to cover himself as he laid down on the sofa.

The moonlight crept in through the glass doors of the balcony and he struggled to sleep as he tossed and turned.

He gave up trying to get any rest and decided to sit out on the balcony to clear his head.

He was well aware that Leafy would have questions for him in the morning but he also hoped that she wouldn't be cold about it.

Looking out at the city, he took out a cigarette and lit it, a habit he had picked up during his "time away"

"Good to be back"
==============================

Hope you enjoyed chapter 4.

XOXO
LeafCake