Chapter 19

It was a normal day for Firey, it had been a week since he had been allowed sleep in Leafy's bed and he still loved seeing her when he woke up.

Leafy had left for work and had taken Grove to school and as usual, he was alone in the apartment.

At around noon, he got a call on the phone that he kept hidden, only certain people knew that number and whenever it rang it was never something good.

He sighed in frustration as he answered the call and his day was made slightly worse when he heard the Directors voice.

"What's going on, Four?"

For a moment, there was silence on the other end until he heard Four take a shakey breath.

"It isn't good Firey,"

Immediately, Firey knew they were serious, their voice lacked the usual shrill, demanding tone it usually had and they weren't barking orders at him.

"Four, what is going on?" he asked, slightly worried.

Once more, he heard his Director take a breath, seemingly trying to compose themself.

"X has been... he was... they somehow tracked them," Four began to lose any kind of composure they had.

"Four, what happened, where is X?" Firey asked cautiously.

"They're dead, I found them this morning, their blood was still warm," Four said with no emotion.

"What... no," Firey began to remember the sweet smile the yellow haired person always wore, their happy, cheerful attitude despite everything around them.

X was the head of his Firey's department, X was the person who convinced Four to let Firey keep his job, X saw something in him and believed in him when no one else did.

And now they were dead...

Firey felt tears run down his face but he made no sound.

"The funeral will be sometime next week, I'll send you the address after I hang up, please go if you can," Four sighed.

"Of course, thank you for telling me," Firey said.

Four hung up and Firey stood there, staring at nothing, frozen in place, not even wiping his tears.

His phone buzzed and it was a text from Four, with a link to the directions to where X's funeral would take place.

Opening the link, Firey realised he wouldn't need directions, he knew the route well.

The funeral and burial was happening in his home town.

After a bit of research and talking to other members of the agency , Firey learned that X was actually from his home town, they even attended the same high school Firey went to, in the time they had worked together, Firey was completely unaware of this.

Firey sat down on the sofa, processing everything that had happened and will happen. He sat there for a long time.

When Leafy came home, Firey told her he was going to visit their home town.

Firey had been worried about telling her because she also grew up there, they grew up together, on the same street and Leafy was a sentimental person so there was a chance she would want to visit her childhood home.

To his surprise, she had no wish to go with him, her parents weren't there because they were travelling and she had nothing else left to do there.

Firey was slightly relieved but hid it well, he hid everything well, he didn't tell Leafy anything about X or the funeral.