Chapter 26

The cold air of the night stabbed Firey like a blade and he quickly crossed his arms over his chest to try fend it off a bit.

He trudged down the street with absolutely no idea of where or what he was supposed to do or go.

With a few words he lost everything.

It rained softly as the sky became darker and Firey knew he wouldn't find anywhere dry to sleep.

He had already ruined himself in two people's eyes, who cares if he lost even more dignity.

He took out his phone and rang someone for a favour he never thought he'd need.

"Hey Four, I need some help,"

Firey told him everything. Well, almost everything.

He left out how bad the fight was but he knew Four would figure it out based on his voice.

"Alright fine, I guess I do owe you something for your work, I have a guest room you can stay in," Four said tiredly, it was obvious he had been rudely woken.

"Thanks Four, don't worry it's not going to be permanent," Firey assured.

He ended the call and continued his long walk to the outskirts of the city, he was cold and the rain got into his eyes but he needed to keep moving.

After about an hour of walking, he couldn't stop himself anymore and reached into his pocket and pulled out his pack of cigarettes.

Once he had lit it, he stared up at the sky where he could see the moon shining through the clouds as he tainted the clear air with his smoke when he exhaled.

He never liked smoking but it seemed to still his nerves and stopped him from being jumpy or fidgety, he often wondered how much of it was actually helping and how much of it was just him lying to himself.

...

The rest of the walk took him hours, by the time he got to Four's house, it was almost midnight and his muscles were sore.

Four let him in but paused for a moment when he saw the state Firey was in.

He caught a glimpse of himself in the mirror and realised that Four's reaction was totally justified.

His hair was a mess, it was obvious he had been crying, he was soaked to the skin, his clothes were crumpled and scuffed and he smelled like cigarette smoke.

"There's a bath down the hall, please take one before you sit on anything," Four yawned.

Firey nodded in response as Four showed him where his room was and then left.

The room was nice, a decent size with a comfy looking bed, a desk and a wardrobe. There was a carpet in the center of the room and there was a vase of flowers on a bedside table, it was rather cute, very unlike Four.

He hung his jacket up and then went down the hall to wash himself.

The bath took a while to fill and the room steamed up, Firey wiped the mirror with his hand and scrutinised the reflection he saw in it.

"You ruined everything," he told himself.

"You had one good thing in your life and you ruined it,"

He carefully got into the bath and sank into the warm water and let himself soak for a moment.

He washed his hair and attempted to get any grit off his skin, his muscles relaxed in the warm embrace of the water and Firey felt himself growing drowsy.

He gazed up at the ceiling as he lay back in the water, memories of Leafy rushed to his mind.

She was so pretty, she was so kind, she was so sweet and so gentle.