Chapter 34

Firey was nervous, anxious and terrified.

He was currently on a bus into the city, as the sun set so he could get Grove from Coiny and Pin's house.

What the hell was he supposed to say in this situation?

Leafy was in hospital, having undergone surgery that had thankfully been successful but Firey still hadn't seen her.

He stayed at Four's house for a few more days before he decided that he needed to see Grove and let him know that his mom was safe.

Firey knew how close Leafy and Grove were, the kid was probably worried sick for his mother, he was so like her that he was certain he had her empathy.

He still couldn't comprehend that Grove was his son, he felt stupid for not catching on sooner though.

Grove looked mostly like Leafy, similar hair colour, similar eyes and he had her charm, clearly Leafy's son.

But he inherited Firey's dusting of freckles, his fluffy hair and upon closer inspection they smiled the same way.

There were other things too, small hints of orange in his eyes, highlights of yellow-orange in his hair and his overall behavior was just like Firey.

Grove was his son, a part of him.

A balance of  Leafy and Firey, a bit of them both, made from love.

...

As he stood outside the door of Pin and Coiny's apartment, his stomach felt sick and empty and he almost didn't want to press the doorbell.

He heard footsteps approach the door and the handle turned as it was opened.

"Hey," Coiny said.

"Hi," Firey nodded.

An awkward tension hung between them as Firey tried to figure out what to say.

The two had never been friends, they only knew each other through Leafy and Firey had never been particularly fond of Coiny.

He knew how Coiny had felt about her, he never admitted it but Firey saw right through him, especially when they were in college.

He always looked at her a certain way, laughed at what she laughed at and often gazed at her longingly, something he would never have.

But Coiny knew where the line was and nothing ever went past lingering glances, he had Pin and she was perfect.

Firey didn't mind Pin, she was always kind to Leafy and was a form of support for her and her presence stopped Coiny from being a jerk and for that, he was greatful.

The sad thing was that neither of the women knew what was going on, it was an unspoken piece of knowledge between Coiny and Firey that would go to the grave.

"I'm here to pick up Grove," Firey coughed , doing his best not to glare at the man in front of him.

"Okay, I'll go get him," Coiny said as he turned away.

About a minute later, small footsteps caught Firey's attention and he looked up to see Grove standing in the front door, staring up at him with sad eyes.

"Hey," Firey gave a small smile as he crouched so he was eye level with the child.

"Where's mama?" Grove asked quietly.

"She's alright, she's in a place with good people who can help her," Firey said in an assuring tone.

"Can I see her?" Grove asked as he twiddled his thumbs.