A/N (01 March 2023, New Project)

Dear Readers,

This part of the A/N is actually unintentional. I know I should not be saying this but I am still in great denial and in pain of hearing the news. For yesterday, at about noon, I received the news that my friend, who've been battling myeloid leukemia for years, passed away.

In any event, I'll not be sharing such news but he was one of my closest friends who had been a constant and avid supporter since we've known one another during college. He heard too many story ideas, read too many books I've written, and had been excited to read this newest project of mine.

That's why, hearing of his passing yesterday truly pained me. He was one of those who heard of this newest project first; had been with me last February 14 to find out more about the subject of my interest at Villamor Air Base; listened to my endless chatter about too many possible book ideas, researches and whatsoever; and helped me through the difficult times of flying and everything. In short, he had been more than one of my constants throughout my writings and journey as a pilot, but a part of the family I have found outside of home, too.

Not to mention that our last conversation last Sunday had been about this project, too. He asked me if I've already decided how the project would end, and his last words to me had been: "Don't be so hard on the guy." And that was it. For some reasons, he seemed to also be reminding me of that for my "future boyfriend", since he kept telling me that I have high standards when there are too many others on the list (which I do not believe at all, but he insisted had been extant).

I was actually about to send the first ten chapters of the newest project to him today to celebrate the announcement with him. But then, one of my usual critics would never be able to catch a glimpse of it at all. I know that he will love to read it, and was so excited when I shared to him the project; unfortunately, yeah, that's life...

But I am also at peace right now, knowing that his pain had finally come to an end. He is at peace, and we'll definitely remember him in our annual family meetings. In the end, that is life, which what mattered is how you live it.

For my dear friend, now really the Ghost as his nickname was at our messenger, rest now. (His nickname had been like that because he usually went off the radar sometimes back then, but now, this was definitely the end of that radar signal.) You'll always be an inspiration and take credit to all the stories I've written and planned to write. But this one is definitely yours for the taking.

*Below is the actual A/N before this additional revision. You might notice the change of mood, because, yeah, this first note was truly a surprise and unintentional.

* * *

Dear Readers,

It is me again~ As the title suggested, again, this is not any update of the Dead Reckoning story, but the idea I've asked of you last time finally bearing fruit and halfway ready to be shared to the world. It is to be titled—Artificial Horizon: A César Fernando Basa x Reader story.

Yes, you've read it right. It features another unsung young hero (and potentially my latest victim...), Lt. César Fernando María Tianko Basa (1915-1941) of the Philippine Army Air Corps' 6th Pursuit Squadron, one of the pioneers of the Philippine Air Force and a military fighter pilot during World War II.

This is a special project to me because it touch the subjects that I love the most: aviation, history, geography and writing. But there is nothing to be worried of as I will not go on with the technicalities of flying (as flying had been way too different back then compared to now), but I could also say that it will not be a light read? (Spoilers start!) At least, for the latter chapters! (Spoilers end!)

Why? Because if Dead Reckoning made you cry buckets, I swear that Artificial Horizon will serve you twice... or even thrice? I know this because I am only writing the chapter key points, imagining the scenario, and am already on the brick of tears with a heavy heart. I've written quite a handful of tragic and sad moments, wherein Dead Reckoning only remained at one of the lightest one (since the most tragic ones were from my full-length novels). But with Artificial Horizon, I'll definitely be serving you with a blast of it. For as I've told my friends, prepare because this is the most angsty story I've ever written as of to date.

I've put too much love on this story, as you will definitely find out upon the publication of the story as a chapter was dedicated for the timeline of its creation (very much like a diary, so you'll definitely be receiving a daily update of the writing process and everything with it; in short, a blast of notifications if you're to follow it? You will, right?). And I hope that you'll also give it the same love just as how much you've given Dead Reckoning a chance, too.

Well, here's the cover for you to easily see it on my profile upon its official release and publication. To add, it will also to be added under the reading list of: Philippine History-inspired stories.

Comment down your reactions for the cover here! I'd love to hear your reaction, and yeah, you've also seen it right

Comment down your reactions for the cover here! I'd love to hear your reaction, and yeah, you've also seen it right. I've also changed the cover of Dead Reckoning to match them two together! (DR's cover is blood trailing the rocky surface, a parallel to that of the one shown in the movie of how the blood spilled in one of the dream sequence.)

Artificial Horizon will be up on 4 March 2023, Saturday, 1120LCL (Why this time, you definitely need to watch out for what that time meant!) with chapters of: Introduction, Lt. César Basa (1915-1941), Photographs, Timeline of AH's creation, Sources & Credits, and Inspired Playlist.

Don't worry, I'll definitely add another author's note by Saturday when Artificial Horizon is finally up to be added on your reading list or whatsoever. After all, I am also happy to share that the first chapters are finally ready for a consistent update of two chapters per week~

xoxo,
Capt. J

PS. Artificial Horizon's target audience is set for New Adult (18-25 years of age). Though there are no explicit scenes in need of warnings of NSFW or R-18, I just wanted to give everyone a head's up if you'll be uncomfortable with such even if they are non-explicit. Just to be safe!