XXXVIII - Vemödalen

n. the frustration of photographing something amazing when thousands of identical photos already exist—the same sunset, the same waterfall, the same curve of a hip, the same closeup of an eye—which can turn a unique subject into something hollow and pulpy and cheap, like a mass-produced piece of furniture you happen to have assembled yourself.

* * *

Immediately after hearing the news delivered to us, the three didn't hesitate to scramble in wearing their clothes at once. The moment we make it back to the town proper, it is almost dusk and everyone else seems to have already heard of the news that the Americans had finally launched their attack.

Surely, Dagupan being close to San Fabian, if I remember correctly on the maps that I've seen the others had been looking at before, the next town to the east is such. Not to mention that the Americans had used the Lingayen Gulf as their primary means of reaching San Fabian. Who knows that if they didn't targeted San Fabian, they could be attacking Dagupan instead last night.

Juan and the two other soldiers that had seen us by the river return with us. We are all in a rush, not to mention that we'll be needing to skip breakfast in favor of packing our things. I have little to none, to begin with, so if ever I'll be having a backpack at this time, all of it could fit in there. However, Juan had been accomodating himself that he'll find a soldier to carry and ensure my things, and will seek a horse for me to ride on the journey.

Goyo seems to have heard it, now somehow relax compared to how he'd acted after his near drowning incident and him proclaiming to all of us that he is to die, and interrupts, "Ako na bahala sa kanya, Juan. Huwag na mag-alala sa kabayo."

Juan nods at him before dashing to his other duties.

Before Goyo could approach me this time, Julian reaches out for his arm, halting him. When the two of them face one another, Julian says, "Ito na Goyong. Nagsimula na."

The fear seems to settle back to him as he just nods and unconsciously turns to the direction of Don Nable Jose's house.

As some sort of coincidence, we've ended up right in front of their house. And on the balcony is none other than Remedios Nable Jose. You may call the scenario like some scene from Romeo and Juliet, but instead of declaring Romeo's love for his Juliet, Goyo just turns away and looks at me. Our eyes meet and he smiles softly before walking onward to where our house is so that we can immediately pack our things.

We notice both Isidro and Jose clamoring up and down the stairs, already on their uniforms after their night patrol. They look exhausted but the news of the Americans finally attacking awakened them much more. They have their things already fixed just as soldiers all around town prepares for the journey. For a second, I see Isidro looking at me, and grimly, he nods slowly at me, telling me that there is no other way but to continue onward to this.

I bite my lower lip and lower my head a little as I grasp for my shawl.

"Mauna na ako sa loob," Enteng remarks before heading straight to the house.

This time, Goyo stops his brother from taking a step further. The realization seems to finally settle on him this time as he asks, "Babalik ka talaga ng Bulacan?"

"Kailangan, Goyong," Julian remarks as he draws his younger brother to a tight and quick embrace. Afterwards, keeping a hand on the shoulder of another, his eyes pierce straight to Goyo as he adds, "Tandaan mo kung sino ka."

Again, Goyo looks desolate as he just nods. Whatever words he has or wants to say quickly evaporates out of him.

"Maraming salamat, (Y/N)." Julian turns to me the next. "Mag-iingat ka."