XVII - Lachesism

n. the desire to be struck by disaster – to survive a plane crash, or to lose everything in a fire.

* * *

When I arrive back to the world of the game, I find myself, surprisingly, above a tree. Good thing that I've been conscious right away with my surrounding that I almost embrace the huge trunk to keep myself from falling. For unknown reasons, I can't explain why I ended up here, a few branches away from the ground. And from the echoes of voices I can hear from my position, I realize that a chant of celebration is sparking all around.

I try to keep myself even on the branch, and look around. I almost gape in shock, even fall over in surprised, to find that a huge open field had been littered with dead bodies with that distinguishable uniform of the Spanish artillery unit. If ever there are those who are still moving around, wearing the Spanish uniform, they've been a few and had been subjected into a group, being led by a Filipino revolutionary soldier.

And there is a crowd of Filipinos—gathering the captured, scouting the perimeter, looting what could be salvaged from the dead ones, and had been chanting in joy. Not to mention that, also, from my position, a familiar flag is being hoisted. That remarkable blue, red, white and yellow. The three stars and a face of the sun.

I can't help but smile at the sight of the Philippine flag.

Is this way passed the declaration of independence? That event will highly be a remarkable moment to witness. Even if in just a game as this.

"(Y/N)?" someone calls for me. I am surprised to find out that it had been, none other than but Isidro himself. Along with him is one of the seven musketeers, and the one that frightens me the most.

Adeodato Manahan remarks with a visible smirk on his face as he crosses his arms across his chest. Chuckling lightly, he says, "Aba, may kakaibang hilig din pala ito. Anong ginagawa mo diyan sa itaas ng puno, binibini?"

Hindi ko ginusto ito... I shake my head lightly and answers, "M-Mas maganda tignan ang nangyayari mula dito sa itaas."

"Talagang pagkatapos ng labanan? Iyon kaagad ang inisip mo? Di ba dapat tumutulong ka sa pag-asikaso ng mga sundalong sugatan?" He further inquires.

"Saglit lang naman kasi, at... alam mo ba na mas madaling patayin ang mga kalaban dito? O di kaya, mas mataas ang tsansa mo na manalo kung ikaw ang nasa mas mataas na lugar?" I counter.

I don't know if that is true. I just remember Star Wars quoting that whoever has the high ground usually wins. And somehow, probably, yes. That it is effective. After all, during this time, no one truly expects someone to just be high above to kill them. Perhaps the highest point ever will be a tree or the terrain itself.

He just shrugs his shoulders. "Sabi mo eh."

Isidro smiles, turning to the other for a second to say, "Tama ang sinabi ni (Y/N), Totoy. Kung sino ang nasa mataas na lugar ay mas may tsansa na manalo. Lalo na't kitang-kita ang mga kalaban mula sa matataas na lugar. Batuhan mo lamang ng granada at sabihin na 'kung kanino na lamang ito bumagsak'." He then returns his attention to me. "(Y/N), kakailanganin mo ba ng tulong sa pagbaba? Madaling umakyat ng puno na madalas ay hindi na pinag-iisipan kung gaano kahirap bumaba."

I bite my lower lip and chuckles lightly. "Ah, o-oo, Isidro. Kakailanganin."

Totoy laughs at that and looks back at Isidro. "Suporta lang ang maibibigay ko, Isidro. Ikaw na bahala sa isang 'yan. Wala si Goyo eh."

I remember the first time that I've met him. He was flirty and had been making moves with me. What happened to him? What suddenly made him to act this way? Even though that is better since I won't be needing to always be wary of a connection with Totoy... it is still a surprise for me. And why? Why on Earth will he even mention Goyo to his lack of interest to make a way with me now?