XXIV - Sonder

n. the realization that each random passerby is living a life as vivid and complex as your own—populated with their own ambitions, friends, routines, worries and inherited craziness—an epic story that continues invisibly around you like an anthill sprawling deep underground, with elaborate passageways to thousands of other lives that you'll never know existed, in which you might appear only once, as an extra sipping coffee in the background, as a blur of traffic passing on the highway, as a lighted window at dusk.

* * *

When I've returned to the game, it took me by surprised that I'd been gone for months. To be honest, I miss a lot of important events in a matter of just the two days that I've spent in the real world. I return exactly at the moment that a battle is going on, and surprisingly, and as some sort of irony, a battle between the Philippine Revolutionary Army and the American forces. Yes, the same American forces who've helped us kick Spain out of the country, and now we face a new set of enemies from them.

Good thing this time that I arrived just before the main battle started, and not like the last time that I've been too close to the enemy lines. And that I've been found by Isidro himself, just waking up as if from some sleep by the shoreline of a river. A few miles away from where the rest of the troops are gathered, preparing for the arrival of the Americans that they're anticipating to attack them.

On our way back to camp, Isidro told me everything that I've missed since that incident between Goyo and General Torres. He told me that the highest learning of the Republic had been established at Barasoain Church just two weeks after I've left; the Malolos Constitution had been ratified; President Aguinaldo protested against some so-called McKinley's Benevolent Assimiliation Proclamation due to the Treaty of Paris that officially ceded the Philippines to the United States by Spain; the proclamation of the Malolos Constitution; the inaguration of the First Philippine Republic; the capture of Malolos and the transfer of the government to Nueva Ecija; and the most important event I probably had missed in all of this, was the spark of the Philippine-American War.

"Kailan pa?" I ask him, biting my lower lip.

"Dalawang buwan na ang nakakaraan. Noong Pebrero." He turns and looks at me straight to the eye. "(Y/N), pitong buwan ka nawala."

"P-Pasensya na," I mumble, guilty. "Hindi ko inaasahan na ganoon kahabang panahon ang lilipas dito, sapagkat saglit lang akong nawala."

"(Y/N)." Isidro sighs heavily. "Sinabi ko naman sa iyo, tumitigil ang oras sa totoong buhay kapag ikaw ay naririto. Pero ang panahon dito sa laro, patuloy na tumutungo sa nakatakdang katapusan nito. 'Wag na 'wag mong kakalimutan ang misyon mo. Naalala mo pa rin ba kung ano iyon?"

I nod timidly. "Oo. Hindi ko nakakalimutan. Pero... sa panahon na nawala ako, magagawa ko pa rin ba na masigurado na mailalayo ko si Goyo sa kasamaan?"

"Nakita mo ang nangyari sa Malolos. Ano sa tingin mo?" He counters the question back to me.

Remembering what happened in the game, and remembering the book that I've found in Gregory's possession... I am starting to doubt if I really could make him the hero that Goyo deserves to be, or maybe, my absence is indeed luring him to the fate that Isidro is wishing I could avoid for him.

# # #

Though I see Goyo, it isn't like I could just march toward him and show myself. And say, "Sorry kung nawala ako ng pitong buwan." That sounds stupid. After all, he is surely aware that I've been gone for that long, and will surely question me why I've returned when there is currently a battle going on.

I've been also trying to avoid the members of the Seven Musketeers. Surprisingly, they've been busy with whatever order they've been tasked to do. After my conversation with Isidro, I found the others ensuring that the trenches are well made, that the soldiers are well equipped, and that everyone is prepared in any moment that the enemies could arrive. Just as Goyo had been busy trooping his men. I almost didn't recognize him when I see him sporting a growing mustache. I guess it had been days or weeks already since they've been here, ensuring that everything will go according as planned.