XVI - Daguerreologue

n. an imaginary interview with an old photo of yourself.

* * *

The first thing I see is Gregory's face, just few inches away from me, causing me step back right away, questioning him, realizing that I am back to the real world, "Anong ginagawa mo?!" I suddenly remember that the time before I return to the game was at the time that that weird girl threw her mango graham shake at me.

"Gregory! Bakit hindi mo ako pinapansin?!" the girl shouts another time.

He sighs heavily and says, "Diyan ka lang. Kung ayaw mo masaktan." I didn't realize that he is holding an umbrella, until the moment that he opens it up and shelters the two of us from the rest of the things that had been flying in our direction. Once the girl is done with throwing things, Gregory closes his umbrella. The girl is already nowhere and he explains, "It's going to be okay. Titigil din siya kapag naibato niya na lahat ng gamit na mayroon siya. Si Josie, pinsan ko. Ginagawa niya iyon kapag nagagalit siya. At may pagka-clingy nga lang." He smiles and offers a handkerchief to my direction. "Ito oh."

"Hmph." I turn away from him. "Hindi ko kailangan. Ang mahalaga, naibalik ko na yung CD. Bye." Without any further ado, I head on my way home.

# # #

I start to feel like the time has passed in a flash. It's been a week since I've returned here, and things start to return back to normal.

"(Y/N), pinalista ko na nga pala tayo para sa fun race," Via tells me, excitedly.

I blink at her. "Ha?"

She sighs. "Doon sa fun race na kailangan daw kasali tayo? Kung hindi, demerits daw yun sa attendance sa ROTC."

Bwiset na ROTC. Requirement ng school namin ang ROTC, compared sa ibang universities na papapiliin ka pa.

This time, it is my turn to sigh. "May iba pa bang choice?"

"Wala eh. At alam mo na, baka mas lalo tayo pag-initan ng mga officers ng ROTC."

"Ilang meters ba?"

"Five kilometers."

"F-Five kilometers?!" I exclaim. "Seryoso ka ba, V? Parang hihimatayin na ako ngayon pa lang."

"(Y/N)! Sayang kasi yung prize! Ten thousand din yun, no! First one hundred daw!" She giggles lightly. "Di ba?"

"V, ilang libong estudyante ang nandun."

"(Y/N), matapos lang yun, accomplishment na. Also, kasama mo ako." She winks at me.

In the end, I agree with her. After all, this is a good take for me to stop thinking of the game. Either Goyo or Isidro or the others... They're not real. But my friend, and everything in front of me right now is real. It's just that... when I think about the game, when I think I'm not going to see them again... I feel a little sad.

# # #

At the day of the fun race, just two weeks later, I can't help but feel insecure at the gathered crowd. After all, the entire student community of our school are here. Wishing that they'll be able to have the ten thousand grand prize for the first to win. I do not imagine winning since just about few steps since the start, I'll certainly fall behind the line.

Via, next to me, had been doing warm-ups, one that she mentioned to remove the tension on her muscles in order to avoid muscle pains the following day. I start to follow after her, noticing that most of the students are doing the same thing while we wait for the program to start.