XXXII - Midsummer

n. a feast celebrated on the day of your 26th birthday, which marks the point at which your youth finally expires as a valid excuse—when you must begin harvesting your crops, even if they've barely taken root—and the point at which the days will begin to feel shorter as they pass, until even the pollen in the air reminds you of the coming snow.

* * *

Whatever string that connects me and Goyo had finally severed on that night. He may have looked at me, but didn't say a word. Not even any physical connection left. His relation with Isidro also starts to waver, and I don't know if him catching me exiting Isidro's room that night had contributed to that. For me, it shouldn't even affect him if he is so wholly in love and enchanted already with Remedios Nable Jose.

I heard from Julian that Goyo had tried making moves with Remedios during that dinner but the young woman just turned down every advancement. But it doesn't guarantee that Goyo had already given up with pursuing her. After all, someone had finally made a competition against him in regards to what Goyo will call his specialty. Women all around Dagupan had already fallen under his charms, all except one. And surely, for a young man, it will be a challenge he is willing to play. Even at the risk of his dignity and his fame.

A few days later, Totoy and the others also returned. The four of them happy to be back, and Totoy immediately reported to Goyo to insinuate that they've succeeded. It had gone according to how Isidro had told me; that they've made it to Angeles, found Jose Bernal, and executed him right away. And now, whatever mission that President Aguinaldo had asked of Goyo is done, and surely, he will be rewarded for his loyalty and the success of the orders given.

A few more days and we've received news that the President will be settling in Dagupan. And a week later, he finally arrives. Along with his family and the rest of soldiers who've been around to guard him. The past few days hadn't been anything strange, except that I've volunteered in ensuring that the house where the President and his family will be is clean to the last detail.

I stay with the others as Goyo greets the President's arrival, that after saluting at each other, the two embrace one another and pat the other's back. When they pull away, the two of them converse, too soft for us to hear from our position. But the smile that the President has means that he is delighted to hear such news from Goyo, and it surely is the news of the Bernal brothers' death. It causes my stomach to churn at the idea that someone is happy at the news of honorable men being executed by their own countrymen.

Later on, the President proceeds to greet the rest of the soldiers and head to the house as if to rest. Goyo then moves to greet the President's wife, who immediately dismisses him, and then to a beautiful woman. A few years older than me and even than Goyo, but has the charm and regal poise.

"Naku po. Kasama ang nakaraan," Julian tells the rest of us, or especially to me. Surely the others had already seen her. "Si Felicidad. Kapatid ng Presidente. Dating kasintahan ni Goyong."

I turn to watch the two another time. My eyes pinned to Felicidad. She, undoubtly, has the aura of authority. Her actions and her presence alone radiates elegance. And now that I remember Remedios, I can say that they have different level of how to pronounce their beauty. To where Felicidad is stern and charming, that's where Remedios is calm and innocent. One thing is for sure. There is no denying that they are equally beautiful, and Goyo surely knows it for Felicidad to be his ex-girlfriend and Remedios to be the woman he is currently courting.

A few seconds later, Felicidad leaves him alone, following her brother and sister-in-law, leaving Goyo alone and turning to our direction. He sighs heavily, looking disappointed; despite me hearing the others suppressing themselves from laughing out loud. Suddenly, he meets my eyes and then looks away, being the first one to immediately break the contact.