XXXV - Fata Organa

n. a flash of real emotion glimpsed in someone sitting across the room, idly locked in the middle of some group conversation, their eyes glinting with vulnerability or quiet anticipation or cosmic boredom—as if you could see backstage through a gap in the curtains, watching stagehands holding their ropes at the ready, actors in costume mouthing their lines, fragments of bizarre sets waiting for some other production.

* * *

That following morning, I am surprised that it is just Goyo, Enteng and me for breakfast. Goyo is busy reading the newspapers as if what happened before dusk today and this very breakfast didn't happen, but, surprisingly, he had poured me a cup of coffee without any word. Enteng notices it but didn't comment about it and instead tells me that the others immediately head for patrol. Few minutes later, when the three of us are in the middle of our breakfast, a young boy comes rushing in the stairs and reports to us that the President is asking for his presence right away.

It is not a requirement for me to come, so I allow myself to stay and enjoy a silent breakfast. Goyo and Enteng come along with the boy in a hurry, but before leaving, I tell them to take care of themselves. And another surprise to me, Goyo turns back at me with a small smile, nodding.

I press my hands against my cheeks the moment that they are gone, feeling the heat creeping. I shake my head to stop myself from blushing. After all, a topic that I didn't breached a few hours ago with him is his courtship with Remedios and his love story with Felicidad. Maybe, I must ask him sooner or later; so that I can finally place a rest with this feeling that is only growing every moment that Goyo shows me an unexplained sincerity and compassion.

The two of them later returns back about two hours later, and I greet them. Along with them is Julian who can't keep his joy for himself and tells me of his promotion. Perhaps it is all due to his happiness that he immediately embraces me and I suddenly notice Goyo frowning. Before he can do something else, Julian pulls away from me and says that a party for his honor will be held that night, and I am invited because he asks me to come.

"P-Pero, wala akong damit para sa pista na iyon," I stutter because it is the truth, and I don't think that I am actually invited. "At talaga bang ayos lang na dumalo ako?"

Before Julian can say something, Goyo answers, "Hindi mo kailangan mag-alala tungkol doon. Personal kang inimbita ni Kuya na siyang pangunahing bisita at dahilan ng pista. At sa damit, hindi mo kailangan mag-alala. Si Kuya ang nagyaya sa iyo kaya siguro naisip niya na rin kung ano ang damit na maisusuot mo."

Julian looks bewildered at that, surprised that he needs to deal with such as well. He turns to Goyo and asks, "Naisip ko na?"

"Di ba, sabi mo baka may mga bagong gawang damit na babagay kay Pendejo?" Goyo raises an eyebrow at him.

"A-ah! Oo! Tama," Julian remarks and looks at me. "'Wag ka mag-alala tungkol doon, (Y/N). Papasuyo din namin na maayusan ka ni Maria kasama ng damit na susuotin mo para sa pista. Kaya talaga kailangan mo dumalo."

# # #

Later that afternoon, just about two hours before the party, a young woman named Maria, indeed, knocks against my door carrying a small bag containing the cosmetics of this time and a box where the tailored baro't saya that Julian had been talking about earlier. An hour later and Maria finished applying light make-up on my face and even tying my hair in an elegant bun with a matching butterfly pin to keep it on place. Next, she also helps me on the clear blue-colored gown with embedded small diamonds and intricate embroidery. And the moment that I am all garnered up, I almost wasn't able to recognize myself in front of the mirror; since the make-up and the dress bring forth the best of me. I thank her for her handiwork, and apologize that it will be destroyed by my unlady-like manner.