XVIII - Kairosclerosis

n. the moment you realize that you're currently happy—consciously trying to savor the feeling—which prompts your intellect to identify it, pick it apart and put it in context, where it will slowly dissolve until it's little more than an after taste.

* * *

As it appears, the reason that Goyo needs this many to welcome him is because of the package he has with him. After all, as some sort of his souvenir to everyone, he has about five hundred amber rifles. He had Isidro distribute it to the group, and he is going on rattling his idea on how to assemble and to attack. And he'd been wishing to make it back to Bulacan tonight, hoping that tomorrow morning, we can all proceed with his plan.

Let me tell you, Manila to Bulacan isn't just like some walk from one bridge to another. Manila to Bulacan is one province from another. Despite the presence of calesas and horses and carts, others will need to walk just to reach the province. Perhaps, the only reason that I manage to make it to one of the horses is because Isidro ordered me to keep Goyo company since he'll be needing to make sure that the rifles are received by those clearly reliable of such and in need. And he already grabbed Totoy to help him with the task.

So... yeah, that's how I ended up needing to ride with Goyo. Because, I don't know how to ride on my own. Yet. I hope so that I'll learn it soon.

"Pendejo, dalian mo naman. Pendejo na nga, ang bagal pa," Goyo scolds back as he manages to have a horse from one of his men. Someone else had been holding the reins as of the moment as he weaves his fingers through the horse's hair.

"Ito na nga oh! Sino ba mag-aakala na kailangan kong sumakay sa iisang kabayo na kasama ka," I tell him, drawing closer.

"Baka gustuhin mo maglakad," he suggests, causing me to shake my head in an instant and he laughs at my initial reaction. "O, 'lika na dito. Tulungan na kita." He points at the stirrup. "Umapak ka diyan." He nods as I did what he had ordered. He is not holding me, but his hands are awaiting if I'll be needing support. "O, itaas mo naman sarili mo. Naku po!" When he notices that I've been struggling a little with getting myself up with the high horse, he finally places his hands onto my waist, easily carrying me up to position me sideways on the horse. "Nakalimutan mo na ba na saya ang suot mo at hindi pantalon? May mas lalala pa ba kaysa sa iyo, Pendejo?" He sighs heavily.

I pout, rolling my eyes as I look away. "Ewan ko sa iyo. Pwede naman kasi magpaka-gentleman."

He shakes his head. "Paa." He gently taps my leg with his foot, and I remove my hook foot onto the stirrup. He easily mounts the horse behind me before softly rubbing the horse's neck as if to calm the animal down. He turns to the one holding the reins, who in turn, hands it to him. He tips his head to the man and gives his thanks, before finally ushering the horse to start with its march, following the others who've started with their journey onward to Bulacan.

I lose track of time, but between me and Goyo, it had been silence. It had grown awkward after departing Manila, but it slowly turn into calmness and sincerity as we continue on. Even during the entire travel to the province with small breaks, where in we'll be needing to unmount the horse to rest for a bit, it will be purely silence between the two of us; and once we're back on track, we return to the agreed silence.

However, a few minutes after our third stop, he finally breaks the silence. He says, "Kumusta ang pagbalik mo sa inyo?"

I suddenly remember that he is aware that the moment that he leaves for Hong Kong, I'll be heading back home. Though I never tell him where I come from, he doesn't seem to care at all. Perhaps, he knows. That I am not from this world. After all, the first time that I've left this game, it is because of the mango that he had given me. And he is there at the spot when I've eaten it; in short, he knows that even on that first time of my exit on this game, he understands that I am really not from some place here in the Philippines, or even in this world. That I am from another world completely different from his and the rest of them.