XIX - Heartworm

n. a relationship or friendship that you can't get out of your head, which you thought had faded long ago but is still somehow alive and unfinished, like an abandoned campsite whose smoldering embers still have the power to start a forest fire.

* * *

So, the plan had been simple. Goyo wants the Spaniards to have time to surrender themselves in. That's the very reason why we've surrounded the town of Bulakan. Why his men simultaneously fire at where the Spaniards had hid themselves in the church just across the town square. And all the reason why Goyo had been greeted friendly by the folks is because he is from this very town, and had asked everybody's participation for the next part of his plan.

Early morning, Goyo and the townspeople had set up a feast outside the church where the Spaniards had been hiding. The intention is to draw them out to surrender. And I am starting to doubt that it will even happen. After all, this Spaniards surely are yet to find out that the Americans had been backing up the revolutionary forces of the Philippines. But, also, if I'll be on their case; perhaps I'll be doing the same thing. Or maybe not...

The Spaniards had been playing masters for far too long already in these lands... thinking that this had been theirs until the end of time. Perhaps, people are like that. Once they hold the power for far too long, they are too afraid to lose it.

Days passed and still, nothing happened. In the end, I try to play along with the celebration. But as every day and night passed without a hint of the Spaniards surrendering, I am starting to wonder if this plan is effective.

Isidro notices my heavy sigh, causing him to ask me, "Hmm? (Y/N)?"

I pout a little. "Talaga bang magiging matagumpay ito?"

"Ibig-sabihin mo itong ginagawa natin?" he asks.

I nod. "Wala tayong ginawa kung hindi noong unang araw ay paputukan sila. Tapos, noong nagtago sila sa simbahan, naglatag tayo ng mga mesa at naglaan ng pista. Ilang araw na ang nakakaraan at wala pa ring nangyayari."

"(Y/N)," he says with a smile. "Alam mo ba ang kasabihan na, 'Upang magtagumpay sa buhay, kailangan mo ang dalawang bagay: kamangmangan at pagtitiwala.'"

I am expecting that he'll be saying something else. Instead, I feel a little disappointed. Among all people, I am expecting that Isidro will wake up from his senses and admit how strange all of this actions are. It's as if we're being confident that we will not be attacked by other Spanish armies; or even be attacked by the Americans for our insolence of the situation. However, no one seems to understand the trouble I am feeling.

Days passed and nothing still. Feast, singing and dancing, continues. For the Spaniards inside, it is a torment. No sign of them even leaving at all. I get it that we're hoarding them from their supplies; waiting for the time that they'll finally resign and call it quits than to continue suffering in hunger. Soon, they'll all contact some sort of disease. And one by one, they'll start dying as well.

"Goyong," I hear Julian telling his brother one day. "Mukhang matitibay ang mga iyon ha."

Instead of agreeing, Goyo smirks and shakes his head. He throws the apple he is holding and catches it with ease. Confidence radiates from his stature. "Lahat ng matitibay na gusali, kapag patuloy mong inaatake, ay bibigay at bibigay din." He takes a bite and his smile grows wider, deadlier. "Susuko din sila, kuya. Matutong maghintay."

I butt in with their conversation. "Hmph. Ilang araw na ang nakakalipas at wala pa rin nangyayari."

The two del Pilars look at me. Julian nods, agreeing; and Goyo, bewildered as if he is not expecting me to say anything, especially to voice out my disagreement, had been in the middle of taking another bite on his apple that makes him look like some lechon.