I - Mimeomia

n. the frustration of knowing how easily you fit into a stereotype, even if you never intended to, even if it's unfair, even if everyone else feels the same way—each of us trick-or-treating for money and respect and attention, wearing a safe and predictable costume because we're tired of answering the question, "What are you supposed to be?"

* * *

First day of class... I ponder with a heavy sigh, all the while that I am stuck in the middle of this traffic. I know that I should've woken much earlier than usual; given that I was informed that there was some road construction going on, and the reality of the Philippine traffic slapped me right on my face. Funny that on my senior year, I still hadn't gotten use to the idea of expecting this kind of ordeal.

Another sigh all the while keeping myself comfortable with the crowded place, I pout my discomfort, thinking, First day tapos late din... Talagang aasenso tayo ng ganito, (Y/N)...

Looking another time at the clock, I seriously wish that I've never done so. Perhaps, it had been all fate itself. I am completely the unluckiest person in the world. It all started with that stupid alarm clock having to be broken now; my phone had gone dead in the middle of the night; I was on my way out but then hit the bin; and I took the wrong turn to encounter an angry dog.

Turning my eyes away for a second to calm my nerves, I instantly notice a scary-looking guy reaching out for the inside of a woman's bag. The woman doesn't seem to notice the act since she is busy talking with someone at the other end of her call. A second later, I realize that the man easily takes the woman's wallet and unsuspiciously tucks it in his jacket's inner pocket.

I bite my lower lip, looking away another time upon witnessing abrupt stealing right in front of me. After all, he had been a scary one that I don't want to bump against to. And even if it had been against my notion, I can't help but just pretend that I didn't see anything. I've been wrong along, even though I've finally reached the bus's stop station. Being quiet surely had added another load of sin to me, but what can I do if ever I've announced that the man was a thief? Surely the man has other watchers that will immediately quiet me down and just get me involved with it as well.

I sigh heavily before finally deciding that there's no other time to waste right now. After all, I am already late... I bolt it right in, clumsily reaching out for my identification card, heading straight to the security, and dash on to the hall of where my class should be. But as expected, class itself had already begun and I am left to simply skip it.

Sa susunod na klase na lang... I tell myself as I ease my breathing. Closing my eyes for a second, I trail the familiar hall of the university with every intention to wait for Via, my best friend, from finishing that supposed to be first class of ours. She'd been texting me since I managed to at least plugged in my phone for a few minutes to notice that she'd been searching for me. It appears that I'll be waiting for her in our usual spot; after all, we have an hour break before the second class. And curse me with all the possibilities... that I am finish my first day with the only minor subject we currently have.

After all, who will be thinking of placing Philippine History as part of the subjects for senior students? Other universities and colleges are already finished with everything minor by first year or second year's first semester. All the while we are here having to deal with a minor subject at our final year. Or maybe... it had been because I've been trying to avoid the subject by all means since it had been offered in first year. It just so happened that Via shared a sentiment with me of being my best friend since high school, and she would just copy the flow of my schedule just to ensure that we'll be classmates for all the subjects. Too bad that this time, there's no way out for us but to take the subject if we are so intent in marching for graduation.