XX - Ecstatic Shock

n. the surge of energy upon catching a glance from someone you like—a thrill that starts in your stomach, arcs up through your lungs and flashes into a spontaneous smile—which scrambles your ungrounded circuits and tempts you to chase that feeling with a kite and a key.

* * *

I wake up finding myself on the bed, startled and surprised with the latest incident that lead me out of the game. In my full intention to return back to the game, I immediately push myself up and head to the kitchen in search of a mango. Luckily, my mother had some mango graham stuck up in the fridge just before the time I decide to return to the game. I take a fork from the drawer and will myself to return in an instant the moment that I take a bite of the mango graham itself, filled with freshly cut mango.

I wait for a second and... nothing happens.

I try another bite, and still, the same thing happens. I didn't return to the game. Unlike the time that a mango shake had spilled over my head and I had a subtle taste of it; and when I take a bite of a freshly bought one. Both instances led me back to the game; but now... what's different with this one? Is the game truly pushing me away from it already?

I head straight to my computer, only to find out that the disc is no longer with me.

"(Y/N)! I am home," I hear my mother's voice at the same time that my bedroom door swings open.

I immediately shut off my computer, flip open a few books from within my reach, and turn to her, startled, "A-Ah! Mama!"

She frowns a little. "Kakauwi ko lang galing sa grocery para magluto ng favorite mo. Pagkatapos mo mag-aral, okay?"

I nod. "O-Opo."

She then leaves me all alone in my room, as if nothing happened. She definitely went home from work, and scared the hell out of me. Maybe because I haven't heard her voice for a while, and somehow, I really missed it.

I sigh heavily. Kung sabagay... the game and the real world, parallel lang naman sila. Kung dito muna ako for a few days, magiging maayos lang ang lahat, di ba?

# # #

The following morning, I seem to lose track of the days that when I head straight to school, I am confronted by the close gates. The guard stationed outside even told me that classes resume tomorrow for today is Sunday. I am so excited that I've been out of our home in a rush before my mother could tell me that today's a weekend.

Anyway, instead of wasting the time, I head straight back to the store where in a list of coincidences, I can say that I am starting to be addicted with the game. I confront the seller by the counter, remembering him from last time, and say, "Excuse me, gusto ko bilhin yung Revolución Filipina."

He looks at me, bored. "Binenta ko na."

"A-Ano?! Kanino mo binenta?!"

"T-Teka lang!" He raise his hands in front of him in defense. "Kilala mo yung pinagbentahan ko. Y-Yung lalaki kamakailan!"

"Yung lalaki..." I mumble, remembering at once meeting Gregory here the day that I've returned the disc. And what the...

God! Out of all people!

# # #

I head straight to where I know that Gregory lives. I am still surprised despite knowing his status, in finding out how beautiful and rare the flowers are on their garden, what a magnificent and luxurious house, and the security is truly strict. The grandest mansion I've ever seen personally in my entire life...