XXV - Onism

n. the awareness of how little of the world you'll experience. Imagine standing in front of the departures screen at an airport, flickering over with strange place names like other people's passwords, each representing one more thing you'll never get to see before you die—and all because, as the arrow on the map helpfully points out, you are here.

* * *

Something heavy seems to suddenly disappear on my body and when I open my eyes, waking to the world I know of, it felt like everything is a mere dream. Until I feel something dangling around my neck, some sort of necklace that I didn't know had been there at all, and I take the item dangling from it. A ring is dangling around, with a topaz stone set onto it, making me wonder when is that time that I've seen this and took possession of this in the first place.

As some sort of late reflex, some flashes of memory floods my mind.

I remember falling on top of him, my shoulder aching as a bullet hits me just by my shoulderblade. I don't remember hearing the panic around me, but I feel my heavy body floating as someone carried me. I slipped in and out of consciousness as one or more medics surround me, attending to the wound. And when they've somehow finished with their operation, removing the bullet and stopping the blood, and ensuring that I am out of danger with bandages surrounding the nasty wound; I heard whispers of people talking just next to me. In the end, feeling someone locked the necklace around me and him taking my hand for him to hold.

I hold the ring close to my chest, believing then that everything that happened in the game... isn't a dream after all.

# # #

Given that today's a weekend, I am left with no choice but to continue with my task in working for that Gregory. Like the last time, his room is an absolute mess. But compared to that time that there are books littered, it had been an actual random of mess: from discarded clothes, an unfixed bed despite it being lunch already, and many other things. Good thing that I am not to come face-to-face with his underwear or whatever other nasty things he has in his possession. I don't think that I can bear that scenario. Just imagine the awkwardness and embarassment for my part, knowing that Gregory has no shame for such matter.

"Hey, you, (Y/N)." I am surprise to hear Gregory's voice as I change his bedsheets. When I turn to him, I realize that he is smirking as he leans against the doorway of his room. "Gusto mo ba matapos itong utang mo sa akin kaagad, hmm? Halatang labag sa kalooban mo ang ginagawa mo."

I pout a little and return to what I am doing. "Kung ano pang kabaliwan ang ipagawa mo sa akin. Hmph. Wag na lang."

He laughs. "Madali lang naman eh. Go on a date with me. Yun lang."

I turn to him again. "Huh?"

"Date. Tayo?"

"Ikaw? Ka-date? Mag-isa ka na lang."

"Or... dahil may gusto ka sa iba, ano?"

I freeze for a second before clearing my throat. "O-Oo. May gusto ako. Mabait, matapang, matipuno. Hindi katulad mo." Saying those words made me wonder if I am being honest with myself.

Gregory sighs heavily. "Okay. Ikaw bahala. Magpatuloy ka na lang diyan sa ginagawa mo."

"T-Teka lang!" I stop him from leaving. "May request sana ako. Yung libro na nakita ko nung isang araw. Yung tungkol sa Batang Heneral. Pwede ko ba mahiram? M-May kailangan lang talaga akong malaman."

"Hmm..." He looks back at me through his shoulder and looks a little desolate. "Unfortunately, wala sa akin yung libro na iyon ngayon. Try mo maghanap sa iba."