XXIX - Fitzcarraldo

n. an image that somehow becomes lodged deep in your brain—maybe washed there by a dream, or smuggled inside a book, or planted during a casual conversation—which then grows into a wild and impractical vision that keeps scrambling back and forth in your head like a dog stuck in a car that's about to arrive home, just itching for a chance to leap headlong into reality.

* * *

I try to avoid Goyo at all cost. But, with him being the general, with him living on the same house as I currently am, and with him whose room is just next to mine... I find it impossible to do so. Despite my trial, I am left with nothing but to comply and take in meeting him.

I meet him every morning at the breakfast table; there are a few instances that we leave our rooms at the same time for breakfast. I am to follow wherever he is to go in looking around the town, heeding the words of the townspeople for us to be able to help in whatever we can. Even in lunch and dinner, whenever he is invited by a rich person in town, it seems some courtesy to invite me along. I somehow earned the reputation, of being the only woman in Goyo's close circle, of being the only woman Goyo truly trusts. Others gossip that I am Goyo's mistress or chosen bride, at the same time that many young women around Dagupan fawn over his handsome features, his gallant stories of battle and his chivalrous qualities.

I hate being the center of attention. Despite my trial of ducking away from the prying eyes, being farther away from him whenever I am to join the group, others continue having their own opinions over the matter. The good thing is that I am not to deal with talking to him just to feel being part of the group.

To be honest, whenever we are inside the walls of the house, the seven musketeers keep their attention to me. Telling stories of bravery and things that they've heard of and jokes and showcasing their manly strengths; well, courtesy of those who are actually loud from the group while the others remain quiet, listening, as well as Goyo. Whenever outside, in the face of the public, Felix, Lesyo, Gabriel and Isidro keep me company. The remaining others with Goyo. And still, I don't know how come people have the audacity to suspect that there's something between me and him than me being involved with the others.

One evening, during a dinner at home, since no one had invited Goyo for another dinner at the house of another rich family, the dark eerie shadows that the flame casts only makes the current discussion a heavy one. Especially, how it had been opened up adds to the tension.

"Ilang araw na noong namatay si Heneral Antonio Luna," Julian starts in between eating his dinner, "Pero wala pa ring balita doon sa magkapatid na Bernal."

"Maging yung isa. Yung nakakabata," Totoy agrees before smirking dangerously. "Mas madali siguro na hanapin muna ang bunso kaysa sa mga kuya niyang sundalo."

"Wala namang kaso sa atin yung bunsong Bernal, di ba?" Lesyo inquires, worried.

Totoy looks surprised with the question before frowning a little. "Sigurado na hahanapin nung bunso ang mga kuya niya. At magpapaalam sila sa isa't isa. Ibig-sabihin, alam nung bunso kung nasaan ang kanyang mga kuya. Kumpara sa mga kuya niyang sundalo, siya na walang kasanayan sa gawain ng isang sundalo... mas madali siyang matutunton. Masasabi natin na magiging padalos-dalos ang kanyang mga ikikilos."

"Pero ang idamay ang isang bata?"

"Tinaguriang mga traydor ang kanyang mga kuya. Kung talagang hindi sila mga traydor, bakit sila tumakas? Bakit hanggang ngayon, nagtatago sila at hindi natin sila makita?"

The question causes a heavy pause among everyone.

"Tama na iyan," Goyo remarks a few seconds later. He sighs heavily. "Maliit lamang ang maari nilang puntahan. Makikita't makikita natin sila kung talagang nararapat na sila'y matugis."