XIV - Anecdoche

n. a conversation in which everyone is talking but nobody is listening, simply overlaying disconnected words like a game of Scrabble, with each player borrowing bits of other anecdotes as a way to increase their own score, until we all run out of things to say.

* * *

Despite the success of Paombong and Goyo's promotion from a major to lieutenant colonel, it didn't stop him from continuing with his promise to himself—that he's going to do everything within his power to free not only his province but the entire Philippines. But like any large scale, he starts small; going from one town of Bulacan and then to another, in hopes to say that his province is a land of freemen. Apparently, we continue from one town and then another; Spanish soldiers didn't stop him. As well as the growing number that are starting to follow him, despite the fact that Koronel Vicente Enriquez is a rank ahead of him.

Goyo continue to serve as their de facto leader. They look up to him. In strategy and protection. And somehow, I am glad that it didn't drill too much honor for himself. He didn't parade through one town to let everyone know that he's the leader; he keeps himself quiet. Like a leader that deemed himself a follower.

However, Isidro warned me, a few weeks later after Paombong. "Bantayan mong maigi si Goyong," he said. "Pwedeng magbago bigla ang ihip ng hangin kapag hindi ka nakatingin."

I don't understand what he means by that. But I am praying that it will not mean something that will change my view towards Goyo. That it will not mean that the day will come that he'll like be any leaders, who are once on the top, will do everything in their power not to see themselves stumble. That will do everything to keep their position, that glorified persona, even if it means having their hands dirty. I pray that that day will not come.

The moment that we leave Paombong, I'll be honest, as well, that I seldom notice Goyo. To the point that it will take days before he talks to me, just to call me 'Pendejo' and say, 'Mag-ayos ka nga ng damit' or 'Mas mukha ka pang lalaki kaysa sa akin' or 'Mas mukha ka pang matanda kaysa kay kuya' or anything else just to make fun of me. Most of the time, I'll be seeing him talking to a group of young women. And I'll catch them speaking in whispers, exchanging words that I can't hear or help imagining. In the end, I let him.

After all, what else can young ladies help on his strategy? Those ladies were part of the Cruz Roja, too. If it will be a strategy and tactic with some battle, he'll depend on to his closest friends. Those whom he can really depend on to. I started believing since he let me come with them during the raid of Paombong that he is starting to see me dependable as well. But when we reach Pasong Balite, and Spanish forces barricaded themselves on the other side of the field, it seems that he remains wary if I am worthy of his trust.

"Gusto kong lumaban," I tell him, against his order for me to head to where the members of the Cruz Roja are as the battle ensues.

He looks at me, conflicted, as if I am trying to make a joke this time. "Anong pinagsasabi mo? Pendejo! Nung huli nga, wala kang ginawa kung hindi magtago sa putok ng mga baril!"

"P-Pero!" I defend as I hold on to his arm, causing him to freeze for a second.

"Tsk... Pendejo..." He pulls his arm away, holding then his newly stolen Mauser rifle with both hands. "'Wag ngayon." And there he goes. Straight to the frontlines of the battlefield.

I'd like to tell him that I have a history with the sound of gunfire, but how about him? Do I even know his history? How can he and all other soldiers withstand the sound of it? Wasn't it the reason that he lost his childhood friend? One of his chosen musketeers? Wasn't it the same reason that scraped him on the forehead and almost killed him back then in Kakarong?