XLVI - Xeno

n. the smallest measurable unit of human connection, typically exchanged between passing strangers—a flirtatious glance,a sympathetic nod, a shared laugh about some odd coincidence—moments that are fleeting and random but still contain powerful emotional nutrients that can alleviate the symptoms of feeling alone.

* * *

I open my eyes at the sound of my mother shouting, "(Y/N)! Akala ko gising ka na. Malalate ka."

Surprised myself, I sit up on bed and find myself back home. Something gently hits my chest and looking down, I notice Goyo's ring dangling in a necklace.

I believe that sabi ni Gregory, the moment I leave that game...

"(Y/N), malapit na mag-exam week at nagproprocrastinate ka pa rin." She sighs heavily as she heads out of my room.

What the hell is going on?

# # #

The morning I make it to school, the guard at the gates stop me and looks at me from head to toe. With a frown, she tells me, "(Y/N) (L/N), di ba? Pinapatawag ka ng dean sa office niya."

I blink at her. And instead of quarreling against her much more, I follow. To be honest, I drag my feet on the way, afraid of what is the matter for me to be called early in the morning. If I am being honest, I haven't done anything wrong, right?

The moment I open the door after a knock, I hear the loud voice asking, "Wala ka na bang ibabagal pa?" It is then followed by a familiar laughter.

I look, a little gasp leaving my lips when I realize that the one sitting on one of the sofas in the office is none other than but Gregory. I immediately close the distance between the two of us and grasp the collar of his uniform as I shake him, furious. "Nababaliw ka na ba? Nagpapanggap ka pa bilang dean? Alam mo bang kabadong-kabado ako?!"

"T-Teka..." he stammers as he raises his hands. "Gusto mo ba akong sakalin?"

I finally let him go, stepping back as I cross my arms across my chest. "Magsalita ka. Ano talaga ang nangyayari dito? Hindi ba't sabi mo kapag natapos ko yung laro, matatapos din ang laro dito?"

He arranges his collars and smiles. "Supposedly. But, it's all thanks to my brother."

As some sort of coincidence, the door then opens another time, closing behind the entry of a familiar face. The only different thing is to find him wearing casual clothes than the clothes from before.

I beam a smile. "Isidro! B-Bakit ka nandito?"

He smiles at me in return, and it is a surprise to hear him speak fluently in English. After some time that I've been so used in hearing him speak in Tagalog. "Every time a round of the game ends," he explains, "I will return to this world. Unless, piliin kong pumasok muli sa game. And also, I've decided to make a major change to the game."

"Hmm?"

Isidro's smile widens much more. "I've decided to transfer the characters of Revolución Filipina into this modern in-game world. In this case, the game in this world can continue to operate."

I raise an eyebrow, still confuse as I try to grasp the reality of it. "I-Ibig-sabihin na... continue pa rin ang game dito?"

The two shares a look and nod at me.

"Tapos yung mga characters ng Revolución Filipina..."

"To be honest, I do some flicks..." Isidro admits. "Before Tirad even happens..."